• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help newbie to OC FX-6100

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

feo

Hello, so, I've decided to oc my amd.
Prior to that I read a bunch of guides and info on oc, but I don't think it actually helped.
My 1st try steps:
In bios i disabled Smart COOLER, AMD C1E, AMD C6, Cool'n'Quiet, Core Performance Boost
Then I tweaked oc to x20 and CPU voltage to +0.175
My pc booted but it just didn't seem right - the system was all sluggy (temp was under 60), so I set it all back.
What was I doing wrong?

CPU: AMD FX-6100
Motherboard: ga-ma770-ud3
Cooler: EVO 212 Hyper
RAM: 2x8 gb Kingston DDR3
GPU: GeForce GTX 960
Case: Inwin MidiTower S555
PSU: Aerocool 600W
Storage: Vector 120 gb SSD

Last edited:
Your problem seems to be the motherboard, 4+1 without heatsink :( personally i would not try to overclock on it.

Kenrou is right that's not the best board to OC on but you should still be able to get a bit more than the base clock out of it. First you can't just set it to 4.0 take a guess at the voltage and hope it works. You need to start at ~ 3.5-3.6 leave it on auto voltage then test with P95 or similar. Watch the temps and the voltage. If it passes this will give you a good starting point for the voltage. Also watch for throttling if the CPU speed drops while under load then it's throttling

Your problem seems to be the motherboard, 4+1 without heatsink :( personally i would not try to overclock on it.
What's 4+1?
And I'm pretty sure it has a heatsink on it.

Which revision is it? The one I looked up also didn't have a heatsink on the power section. It's located right beside the CPU socket to the left. Either way a small fan blowin on them will help

What's 4+1?
And I'm pretty sure it has a heatsink on it.

It's the section of the motherboard that takes the power to the CPU. Usually comes in 4+1, 6+2 or 8+2, the more the merrier ;) Example :

1344.jpg

Which revision is it? The one I looked up also didn't have a heatsink on the power section. It's located right beside the CPU socket to the left. Either way a small fan blowin on them will help

This one seems to have 3 revisions and neither of them has a heatsink, possibly wrong motherboard ?

The mobo is rev 3.1+
And those power units on mobo - there seems to be 10 of them - so they shouldnt be the issue, right?
Well, I'm a total newbie, but isnt the corrugated thingie with the Gigabyte nameplate on it in the middle of that picture - heatsink? If it is then I got one^^

View attachment mobo.bmp
Or not?
So, 30+ minutes of prime [email protected] (voltage +0.200v) - on the one hand the pc works, on the other hand (really disappointing) the temps are raming up to high 60s, low 70s - and that's too high. I kinda hoped that aftermarket cooler+thermal grease would do the trick...
Maybe it is possible to tune smth in the bios to lower temp?)
Also, even though that it runs fine - i notice that in cpu z my multiplier and speed are fluctuating from from 3 to 4 mhz - is it throttling?

That is North Bridge heat sink.

I wouldn't overclock this system. I can't find a single decent components in this rig build.

Fx and Kingston value ram is not a good mix.
Air cooling is ok for mild overclock but people always expect so much more.
The board is not adequate to stabilize a long term OC.
PSU.... Well its ok at best.....

I dunno. Wouldn't touch it personally. Run it stock and save coin to upgrade......

Unfortunately that particular heatsink wont help here ;) depending on what program you use fluctuations up to 100mhz are ok-ish (HWInfo64 shows these for me), and as long as it passes Prime95 minimum 2 hours it should be stable for gaming. Throttling would be speed dropping by 1ghz or more in most cases.

First you can't just set it to 4.0 take a guess at the voltage and hope it works. You need to start at ~ 3.5-3.6 leave it on auto voltage then test with P95 or similar. Watch the temps and the voltage. If it passes this will give you a good starting point for the voltage.

This. start at your stock speed and work up from there.

Well, Prime runs for 2+ hrs with temperatures around 70.
In a couple of games i've tried - temp is mid 40 to below 60. So far it works.
What should I look at to fully understand that this is a "stable oc"?
Also the thing that buggers me most - is electricity consumption really higher now?
That is North Bridge heat sink.
The board is not adequate to stabilize a long term OC.
Why?

Because the power section isn't sufficient Ideally you'd want a six phase preferably 8. That power section could decide one day to just give up and take the CPU with it. This is what a "good" power section looks like
01-big-asus-sabertooth-990fx-r2.jpg

Guys, could you please help me figure one more thing - cpu z still shows that my multiplier is between 7 and 20.
How come? I've disabled the thingie in bios, right?

That's the way it should look. Nothing is wrong with the PC or CPUz

Guys, could you please help me figure one more thing - cpu z still shows that my multiplier is between 7 and 20.
How come? I've disabled the thingie in bios, right?

Cool n Quiet downclocking at idle.

Cool n Quiet is disabled by me?

Is the processor actually downclocking at idle? Look at the frequency, not the multiplier in the CPU-z "CPU" tab. The multiplier readout shows the normal range of operation when cool and quiet and other power saving modalities are active. In Windows, go to Control Panel and Power Options and set it to High Performance.

Back