• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

General OC Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

adhulamite

Registered
I recently upgraded my main PC and wanted to try my hand at overclocking with my old components. The hardware I am using is listed below:

Processor: AMD FX-6100
MoBo: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev 3.0)
RAM: G.skill f3-10666cl9d-8gbrl (x2) & G.skill f3-12800cl9d-8gbrl (x2)
PSU: Thermaltake SMART 600W
GPU: Radeon 6850 (x2 crossfired)

I followed this guide to manually change my OC settings through the board's BIOS:

https://forums.tweaktown.com/gigaby...caling-charts-max-ocs-ln2-results-coming.html

I currently have the multiplier set to 20 (4.0GHz). I have disabled the core boost and turned off all the unnecessary power features. The PC boots up just fine and loads windows with no problem. I downloaded prime 95, but the application itself keeps crashing whenever I try to run a torture test. When I look at the monitoring software, the core voltage/multiplier fluctuate all over the place. The Gigabyte board I am using is not very user-friendly in the BIOs, and will not show me my Vcore voltage. Instead, I have increased the voltage by .025 incrementally until the monitoring software shows a max voltage of 1.464V whenever the multiplier hits 20. In the monitoring software, the multiplier/voltage tends to jump around. From what I have read; I am under the impression that is normal. I am not sure why I cannot run prime 95. Does anyone have any suggestions? Am I missing something??

Below are screenshots of my current BIOs settings, as well as Prime 95 crashing with the monitoring software running at that moment.

I appreciate anyone's time and effort if they are actually willing to help. I know these components are old. I get it. I'm not looking to upgrade. Please don't suggest buying new parts. This is a spare-PC. I'm looking to learn and would actually appreciate helpful replies.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

IMG_20190603_151937.jpg

Have you checked out our guides yet (see my signature)? Start there and your help will trickle in.

My initial though if its failing P95 is not enough vcore.

What are temps? Voltage? What test in P95 are you running, etc?

My gigabyte board does not allow me to see my voltage, or manually enter a voltage value for Vcore. It simply allows me to add or subtract .025V at a time. I'm assuming that my voltage is 1.464V, because that is what the monitoring software shows whenever the multiplier jumps to 20 (the multiplier/voltage keeps fluctuating up and down). I believe that corresponds to roughly +0.250 on my Vcore setting, but I cannot recall off the top of my head.

Temps are sitting around 38-42C, but that's without any sort of stress on the CPU.

I cannot even get to the point in P95 to select a specific test. I go to the menu and click "torture test", and the program crashes immediately. No pop-up window or any alternative screen.

Last edited:
Usually when Prime95 crashes, it's just not stable.

40c temps idle are kinda high... Are you using the stock cooler? If so, an over-volt is a bad idea. Try only OC to 3.6Ghz to start with maybe.

What are you cooling the CPU with?

Your Load Line Calibration is +100%. Never seen that parameter expressed that way.

Can you please attache pics of CPU-z tabs "CPU," "Memory" and "SPD"? Also download and install HWMonitor, expand the user interface to show all voltages and temps for the CPU and motherboard and then attach a pic.

With good cooling you should be able to overclock that CPU to about 4.4ghz on that motherboard I think.

I am indeed using the stock cooler. After opening up HWmonitor and three instances of CPU-Z, the CPU temps shot up around 60C. I immediately dialed it back to 3.8GHz and dropped the VCore to ~1.31-1.4V. The temps are now fluctuating between 21-30C at idle. Below is the screenshot you requested. This may sound like an incredibly dumb question... but are AM4 coolers backward compatible with this board? I have an after market cooler in my new PC, and the wraith spire cooler that came with my Ryzen CPU is just sitting in the box still.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
But are AM4 coolers backward compatible with this board?

Good question!! Care to experiment??!!!

You can clock this chip with better cooling. Do what you can for that and then try for higher clocks.
Backing down the voltage helped you out a lot. FX responds better to lower temps then throwing voltage at it.

Even after backing the CPU down to 3.8GHz and lowering the VCore, P95 is still having the same issues. The temps are well below 30C when idle. Do I need to back it down even further? Or should I basically just give up on OC'ing until I get a better cooler?

Unfortunately, the wraith spire cooler I have is not the clip kind. It's a screw-in type, so I have a bad feeling it will not be compatible with this board. I will certainly double check, though! If not, I can always swap it with the aftermarket cooler. Since my Ryzen is not currently OC'ed, the stock wraith spire cooler should work just fine. The aftermarket cooler will definitely support an AM3+ processor, so I can always just use that to cool my OC'ed rig. Only downside is that I wouldn't be able to take advantage of the RGB. :(
(I put a link to the aftermarket cooler below.)

https://www.amazon.com/DeepCool-Universal-Solution-GAMMAXX-GT/dp/B071J2VQQW

That aftermarket cooler should be good enough to allow the 6100 to realize most of it's overclock potential.

If I were you, I'd put everything back to stock once you swap in the new cooler. Find out what your baseline vcore is at idle. CPU-z will tell you that. So will HWMonitor. Run the Prime95 blend test for 20 minutes at stock voltages and frequencies to see what baseline temps are and to see how much vcore fluctuates under load.

Then I would start increasing the core frequency in 1x increments until you fail the Prime95 20 minute stress test at stock voltages. Then add voltages in increments of +.01 until you can pass the stress test again. Once stable at that frequency, increase the multiplier by another 1x and stress test. Add more vcore as necessary to be stable. Always monitor temps. Once the package temp reaches 55c then stop adding vcore. That's the temp wall for that CPU series.

I would also take vcore LLC off auto and experiment with that adjustment until you find a level that more or less keeps the vcore steady under load, i.e. that compensates for vdroop under load. Too high a LLC overcompensates for vdroop and drives up temps. Too low a LLC does not sufficiently compensate for vdroop under load which results in instability.

In the end, you should run Prime95 for two hours to confirm stability and if not stable under that long test you may need to drop the frequency multiplier a tad.

That aftermarket cooler is garbage.

H110i or something of the sort will get you better clocks. Your cooling solutions will not do it for FX. Just too hot.

Decent chips though. Think the one I had was doing 5.5Ghz on Dice cooling Easy. 4.6/4.8Ghz on custom water loop around 1.55v if memory serves me correctly.

FWIW, because nobody has told you yet, idle temp means nothing. FX doesn't even give an accurate temp until over 40c. When people ask what your temps are like, they refer to temp while under 100% load.

My $.02 now. Your temps are crap. You need a much better cooling solution. That stock cooler is almost inadequate even for a stock running FX. When your voltage and multi are jumping around under load, that means your CPU is throttling to save itself.

FWIW, because nobody has told you yet, idle temp means nothing. FX doesn't even give an accurate temp until over 40c. When people ask what your temps are like, they refer to temp while under 100% load.

My $.02 now. Your temps are crap. You need a much better cooling solution. That stock cooler is almost inadequate even for a stock running FX. When your voltage and multi are jumping around under load, that means your CPU is throttling to save itself.

Trents-
Run the Prime95 blend test for 20 minutes at stock voltages and frequencies to see what baseline temps are and to see how much vcore fluctuates under load.

I would not say idle temps mean nothing because when they are abnormally high (say, above 40c) then that is often an indicator that either core voltage is set way too high or the CPU cooler is not making good contact with the lid of the CPU. Other than that, however, we are really interested in load temps.

I'm trying to spend as little extra cash as possible on this build, so my options for after market cooling are limited. I have another option, but I don't think it is as powerful of a cooler (link below). 5.5GHz is more than I could have ever dreamed for with this rig. If I can get over 4.5 stable, I'll be happy as a clam. Do you think that either of the below coolers will be sufficient in helping me attain that mark? I'd prefer to put the Enermax ETS-N30R-HE in there if that will suffice.

https://www.amazon.com/DeepCool-Univ.../dp/B071J2VQQW

https://www.amazon.com/Enermax-ETS-N30-Compact-Cooler-ETS-N30R-HE/dp/B01C1FD5V2

Below is the response I got from another user in a different forum. Would you agree with this information?

"Your HT link speed i too high, set it around 2.4Ghz. ( unable to see where to set this in your bios)
also set NB speed to 2.4Ghz."

Last edited:
The Gig board is the better of the two boards.

No such thing as too many questions when you're trying to learn. ;)

I meant to edit my last post and I think I accidentally deleted it.

For reference- I have two FX-6100s. I plan to keep one and sell the other.
One is attached to an ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS, and the other is attached to the Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 I originally posted about in this thread.
I don't want to spend any extra money on this project, so I intend to use the two coolers I linked above.
I want to keep the Gigabyte board for my second gaming rig and sell the ASUS setup.
Should I put the bigger cooler on the Gigabyte board? Since I intend to keep the Gigabyte board, and it seems to have more OC capabilities, that seems like the right move.
However, the ASUS board is going to be sold with a GTX970, whereas the gigabyte board is going to have two crossfired Radeon 6850s.
I'm not sure how much GPUs factor in to the CPU overclocking, but I thought I should mention it just in case.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

No such thing as too many questions when you're trying to learn. ;)

Also for reference- Thank you all for your time and insight. This is my first forum experience and it has been overwhelmingly positive. I apologize if I am asking too many questions, but I am enjoying learning from all of you.

You'll be wanting the Deepcool on the Gig board.
GPU is irrelevant to your CPU overclock.

I have swapped in the after market cooler and reset all of the mobo settings to default. However, P95 is still continuing to crash without even being able to start a torture test. At this point I think it is less system stability, and more of a software/program issue.

Back