• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

General OC Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Cannot run Prime95 (Win 7 x64)

Whenever I try to open prime 95 on this machine, it crashes and I get an error that the application has stopped working. This happens before I can even start a test. I literally cannot even open the program. Any ideas?

f.JPG

Have you tried a different version? Where are you DLing it from... tried from a different location if not from the source? What troubleshooting have you done so far so we can focus in a bit? :)

I merged threads since this was mentioned in the first post here and started in on late. ;)

I am downloading it straight from the P95 website, so I'm assuming it is the most recent version. At first I thought it might have been an issue with my system stability, since I tried to run it after changing some settings in my BIOs. However, I have reverted everything to defaults and the issue is still occurring. Im not sure what troubleshooting to try. All I can find when searching for this issue is people with hardware stability issues. The facts that I can't even open to program on default settings, makes me believe that this is not the case with my machine.

So.... what have you tried to troubleshoot? Have you attempted to DL and install an older version from the website?

How fresh is that install? Tried another, modern OS? Any reason you are hanging on to 7?

I'm not really sure what I can even do for troubleshooting. I've tried downloaded various versions of the program from different sources. I'm not sure how to download different versions directly from mersenne.org. Fresh install is within two weeks. I chose Windows 7 because I had it handy and it seemed most appropriate with the age of the hardware. Would you recommend trying Win10?

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

I merged threads since this was mentioned in the first post here and started in on late. ;)

Thank you! I wasn't sure if it required a new thread or not since it seemed more like a software issue than an OC issue.

This is a hardware topic and should be moved to another area of the forum. Mods?

After installing Windows 10, I was able to run a two hour long p95 blend test at 4.1GHz before hitting the 55 degree temp wall. I added +.05 to the Vcore. Stock voltage was ~1.296V. Now it ranges between 1.260 - 1.356 (I have seen it spike to 1.516 infrequently). I set VCore LLC to medium. After researching several other comps of similar builds, that seemed to be the best consensus setting.

Is this the farthest my machine will be able to go with the cooler setup I have as of now? Are there any other tweaks or modifications I need to make?

View attachment 206257

Last edited:
You are temped out with your present CPU cooler. There is likely more OC room in that CPU since your vcore is still modest . . . if you have a good motherboard and good cooling.

What about the RAM or GPUs? Is there any tweaking left to be done there? I really appreciate all of your help throughout this entire process. I think I'm going to begin tweaking another rig tonight since I had so much fun with this one.

Back