• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I use my receiver to get sound from my computer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HeatM1ser2k4

I just upgraded to a 5.1.4 Dolby Atmos setup for my home theater. I picked up a Pioneer SC-LX701 receiver. My computer is 3 feet from the home theater And I was wondering what’s the best way to use my 5.1.4 speakers as the main speakers for my computer? I tried Bluetooth but must not be doing something right. BTW my dig needs to be updated to show an RTX 2070 Super.

Does the receiver have an SPDIF input? If so... connect it to the one on your pc. Select the right input on the stereo and your pc output to that connector, play sound. If all works well it should come out through the stereo.

You are able to update your signature yourself. ;)

Last edited:
“EarthDog said:
Today 08:28 PM
Does the receiver have an SPDIF input? If so... connect it to the one on your pc. Select the right input on the stereo and your pc output to that connector, play sound. If all works well it should come out through the stereo.”

I thought SPDIF didn’t produce surround sound?

My computer doesn’t detect the receiver as a sound device, it detects it as “other device.” I’d really like to be able to play using Bluetooth if I can.

AFAIK, SPDIF supports DTS and DD. But you need an application that has the decoding in it already I believe.

My computer doesn’t detect the receiver as a sound device, it detects it as “other device.”
Where do you see this? Are you able to click on the little speaker by your clock (sound), playback tab, and is it listed there when the receiver is plugged in and on? 9a picture is worth 1000 words here... :) )

You can also buy a 3.5mm to RCA cable and hook it up that way. But that will be stereo I believe...

EDIT: RE Bluetooth... no idea on that. Make sure it is enabled and drivers installed on the PC side and follow the instructions on your receiver manual to pair them.

Last edited:
Can you do HDMI from the GPU to the receiver? I believe HDMI is the best way to go for surround, not sure however on sound quality going through the card.

Can you do HDMI from the GPU to the receiver? I believe HDMI is the best way to go for surround, not sure however on sound quality going through the card.

Not a sound freak myself, but IMO, the quality is good.

That's what I do with mine (HDMi to home theater) and it works perfectly.

The HDMI cable came today, but I'm only getting stereo from it. Windows allows me to configure my speakers in a Dolby Atmos configuration, but stil only plays in stereo. Then, I selected a 5.1 sound setup, and that still comes in stereo. How can I get my sound in 5.1 or Dobly Atmos from my computer and use all speakers(or at least 5.1 if not Dolby Atmos)?

Update: Now I cant even get stereo out of HDMI. I plugged one end into my video card and the other end into my receiver. Nothing. Then I went HDMI from VGA---->HDMI input on monitor---->AV receiver...but nothing I do produced any sound from my video card.

Last edited:
Make sure your sound options are set to use the HDMI from the GPU. I believe on mine the "use default" setting uses my motherboard sound.

I'm no sound expert but I played around with this a bit a while back. If I remember right I used a 3.5mm output plug from the motherboard with an adapter to the receiver. The receiver then upscaled it to 5.1 sound. I had to change the settings on the receiver itself to force it to go surround versus a setting like direct otherwise it didn't do much. No clue if it was the right way though..

Make sure your sound options are set to use the HDMI from the GPU. I believe on mine the "use default" setting uses my motherboard sound.

I'm no sound expert but I played around with this a bit a while back. If I remember right I used a 3.5mm output plug from the motherboard with an adapter to the receiver. The receiver then upscaled it to 5.1 sound. I had to change the settings on the receiver itself to force it to go surround versus a setting like direct otherwise it didn't do much. No clue if it was the right way though..

I'll search how to make sure the GPU audio is enabled. The HDMI cable is running fromt he GPU to the motherboard, but I've alsao wired the GPU to the monitor, and then a 2nd HDMI from the monitor to the mobo....neither way worked...but maybe like you said I have to manually turn on GPU audio.

BTW Earthdog, thanks for closing the other post---wasnt sure which sub-forum was most appropriate.

Left click on the little speaker icon next to the time in the bottom right corner and select the input (dropdown above). Be sure the audio driver is installed (it is in the Nvidia driver...).

Left click on the little speaker icon next to the time in the bottom right corner and select the input (dropdown above). Be sure the audio driver is installed (it is in the Nvidia driver...).
Its not even an option available when I go to the sound icon in the taskbar. The driver should already be installed but I'll uninstall and re-install just to play it safe. When I had the HDMI cable going right from the GPU to the receiver, nothing happened. I expected Windows to automatcially detect the HDMI and allow me to configure it...but nothing happened. One time I was able to get the sound control panel to offer Dolby Atmos for my setup via HDMI, but that went away after I unplugged the HDMI cable. Then I ran the HDMI to my monitor, and another HDMI to the receiver and still nothing....but I'll check the sound driver.

EDIT: Windows says the Nvidia sound drivers are installed already.
HDMI.jpg

EDIT #2: My 2nd 4k monitor came today, and once I hooked up both monitors...the HDMI sound started working the way its supposed to. Not sure why the HDMI digital audio wouldnmt work with just 1 monitor. Sounds amazing with my new home theater setup!!

Last edited:
Back