• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can i use the LCD of a cell phone???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i agree with elekt...
unless you can find some adaptor for it, youre not going to have an easy time wiring it to your computer somehow.

I take it the cell phone is useless to you now, so, crack it open, see what kina controller unit runs the LCD.

Just because no one has done it, doesn't mean it can't be done.

unfortunately, I've never cracked open a cell phone, so I'm not sure whats inside.

If you see the lcd attached to a board(controller) that is then connected to the main PCB by a ribbon cable(seen this inside some stereo equipment) then it may be an external controller, and the ribbon cable may be adaptable to a serial/paralell connection.

It never hurts to try, especially if you're going to throw it away.

also look to see if you can get any kind of wiring schematic or repair instructions. This could help.

Let us know what you find. could be quite a great feat, and imagine the awe factor if you succeed.

if you have experience with programing micro controllers, go for it. its gonna take alot of time and effort. just look up the specs on the controller chip and find out what all the pins do. then wire it up on a proto board or solder it up (id order a new controller if yur gonna solder it, its probably surface mount) make sure all your Vdd and Vbb's are correct... also all of your grounds and reference voltages, or youll fry it. then write a program or a script (whatever your fancy) to run it off a serial or parrallel port.

wait, yeah that is kinda complicated...

just get a VCD.

Fushyuguru: wow... sounds like maybe you should start doing that and selling them and we could be your beta testers =)

you can't just get a "standard" controller and hook it up to the cell phone lcd? (forgive my stupidity i've never even seen an lcd setup so i have no clue how they work =)

Yap yap i saw that it is way to complecated to start and finish the project at this time. I will get some lcd-s tomorrow.

Thanx

Well, if you don't mind, I'm going to take your idea and run with it. I figure I may be able to get one to work with some of the lcd programs already written.

I have an old phone I'm going to tear down tonight and look at it.

i have a working nokia the old gray ones that everyone used to have, and thats a pixel lcd so maybe that would work, who knows, those new palm pilot fones would probably be easier

those palm pilot phones are ugly :-/

i'm really interested in this idea too! time for some research

i live here in spain and there are so many cheap phones and lcdz you can buy here old phones for 2 or 3 bucks pretty much anythingi might get some tomorow and post some picz and see what can we do

DeRose306 said:
Well, if you don't mind, I'm going to take your idea and run with it. I figure I may be able to get one to work with some of the lcd programs already written.

I have an old phone I'm going to tear down tonight and look at it.

yeah lemme know how that goes. hopefully the controller is just a standard chip and you can find specs on it. also if you can find a configurable or open source lcd program, you can modify it or cut and paste.

i found 2 somewhat old nokia cell phones last night (5120s) and took one apart and it would appear the controller is on the circuit board that the lcd is attached to... however i have no clue how it could be removed and rigged up on its own or even reprogrammed to display temperatures =)

i took apart a really old cellphone i had, atleast 6-8 years old, and the LCD screen is attached to the board by a large ribbon cable, with what looks like 50 individual wires, theres no way i wanna try to figure out what each one does

i will end this thread by saying, its pretty much impossible, the lcd interfaces were designed for those fones and will most likely only work for those fones.

elekt said:
i will end this thread by saying, its pretty much impossible,
Nothing is impossible. ;)

It may be very difficult, or even pointless due to costs and all it would take to do it, but I seriouslly doubt impossible.

i'm not really interested in spending $200 on a *chance* that i can use the LCD from an old cell phone... in fact it's too expensive unless you plan on building a custom LCD monitor, IMO =)

Back