• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can MSI 970 Gaming unlock CPU core for Phenom II X2 555 BE?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jibby00

I used Phenom II X2 555 BE and ASRock 880GM-LE and unlocked cpu to 4 core properly. But now my MB (ASRock 880GM-LE) was gone. So I plan to change MB to MSI 970 Gaming.

But I don't know the MB MSI 970 Gaming can unlock Phenom II X2 555 to 4 core or not? If can how to do it?

Please advise

Thank all guys

ACC is supposedly in the bios so it might unlock but in searching unlocking for that board there is user in these forums posting that his 970 Gaming would NOT keep the unlock working. So you probably will have to see. If you have not bought the board yet...I would g00gle for board that is sure to unlock.

RGone...

EDIT:
I just downloaded and went thru every bios setting in the Ver 4.1 manual and there is n0 mention of core unlocking that I could find.
END EDIT.

Last edited:
I would suggest looking for an older board that comes from the same era as the PII. The newer boards are geared toward the FX CPUs and don't use the same programming that an older one like your ASrock with the 880 chipset. This can cause odd problems at times with older CPUs. Mostly they work just fine but things like core unlocking may not. One poster here who helps regularly killed a Sempron trying to unlock it on a CHV board. Maybe on an older board that wouldn't have happened.

One poster here who helps regularly killed a Sempron trying to unlock it on a CHV board.
It was actually the Sabertooth board I killed it on Johan. That said I do agree with the guys above, you may want to seek out an older board to try and unlock. I have a PII 960t that has been unlocked to 5 cores by another user and I have not been able to do this on my Sabertooth or my M5A99X Evo board.

older board to try and unlock. I have a PII 960t that has been unlocked to 5 cores by another user and I have not been able to do this on my Sabertooth or my M5A99X Evo board.

That seems fairly common 'manny' when moving to newer boards that still claim to unlock. Previous unlock on one make or model of board is not duplicatable on later board many times. And the search hits I have found are not showing nearly all the same outcome. Some do okay and some don't and never sure what is what until it is tried. That is why I would try and find and older board that had a 'history' of successful unlocks.

RGone...

That seems fairly common 'manny' when moving to newer boards that still claim to unlock. Previous unlock on one make or model of board is not duplicatable on later board many times. And the search hits I have found are not showing nearly all the same outcome. Some do okay and some don't and never sure what is what until it is tried. That is why I would try and find and older board that had a 'history' of successful unlocks.

RGone...
It goes the other way too. I have chips that unlock on the Sabertooth that won't on older boards. Advice: try more than one board if you have the means.

One more thing;
When CPU's are unlocked they draw more wattage, sometimes way more that you'd think. Be sure whatever board you get has a VRM phase setup that can handle a high wattage draw to make sure you won't have problems there.
The older version of the CHV can unlock CPUs and definitely has the VRM setup to handle about anything you could throw at it.

I have a 555BE that I can unlock in my older CHV and does so perfectly.

Interesting my 990fx ud3 won't unlock my 960t but my older biostar ta890fxe. Would unlock all cores.

Only reason i swapped was because there were memory limitations on the biostar and it couldn't keep up with the unlocked cores plus being oced to 3.7

I know for a fact the ASRock 970 Extreme3 revision 1 will unlock a 960T, as I had that combo and could run her as a hex at 3.8ghz. Should have no problem unlocking a 555.

However, finding R1 boards can be difficult. I would imagine that R2 would be just as capable, but you just never know these days, right?

Back