• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can my ISP block my router

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tw00sh

My router stopped working all the sudden and I am not so sure it actually is broke. Can my ISP be blocking it somehow? If so, how could they be blocking it, if it is behind my cable modem?

Just wanted to make sure it is the router before I go out to buy a new one.

ok tring to understand the question...your router is not working...Does your computer get on the internet, or you are not able to browse your network?

you may need to reset the cable modem to see if you can get another IP from the ISP...

What, exactly, is it not doing? You should still be able to use your router if it was working before. The only thing that cable companies do that I am aware of is giving service only to the MAC address of the NIC in the computer you registered with the cable company (they ask you for it).

Soy

Okay,

I have a router behind my cable modem so I can use two or more computers at the same time. Well, that is not working now and the only way I get internet connectivity is to connect right to the cable modem. So, I was wondering if the cable company had some way of knowing I had a router behind my cable modem and multiply computers and somehow blocked it from working.

If they cannot do this, then in all liklyhood, my router is bad. :(

Your router should be good if you can access it and enter settings. Have you tried resetting your router? If that doesn't work try unplugging it & leaving it unplugged for a good 30 seconds or so and the plug it back in and re-enter your settings. If that still doesn't work, try upgrading your firmware. One other thing you can try is cloning the MAC address of either NIC.

Soy

But once I plug the router in, I no longer can get to the internet.

So, I cannot update the router settings at the website. I tried to re-set it and it did not work. I was thinking they knew I was sharing my connection and blocked it. Someone at work here told me they cannot block it though, as it is behind my cable modem. Was not sure?

They can't block the router...they woudn't be able to tell if you had one. Can you directly access your router through your browser via an IP address? That's how I access mine and change the settings. Try the unplug for 30 seconds, reset, and/or firmware upgrade and see if you can directly access the router. Don't worry about trying to get on the internet at this point. See if you can access the router. If you can't, then it probably went bad.

Soy

^ yeah Soy is right, to the cable company's computer your router just looks liek a computer to them"cable companys computers" its self. so it must be your router if you cant get into its configuration.

Bah, I will try to get into the router. Although I am not sure I have the address anymore. Unless there is some default address they use. The router is over 2 years old :(

They use a default IP address. What kind of router are you using, BTW?

Soy

they can block your router, simply by detecting its MAC, and then adding it to a restricted access list, effectivly deniying that MAC to the DHCP server, so that it can not get any information for it, and thus can not get on to the internet.

If you have a Linksys router, it can mirror another MAC, so you might be able to get around this MAC restriction by geting in to its setings and telling it to send out another MAC, so that it can get a proper MAC address.

dagamore said:
they can block your router, simply by detecting its MAC, and then adding it to a restricted access list, effectivly deniying that MAC to the DHCP server, so that it can not get any information for it, and thus can not get on to the internet.

If you have a Linksys router, it can mirror another MAC, so you might be able to get around this MAC restriction by geting in to its setings and telling it to send out another MAC, so that it can get a proper MAC address.

I somewhat mentioned that earlier, but you do such a good job of drawing it out clearer and easy to understand. :D

Soy

will have to look the brand name up.

Not sure I understand this though.

Why would the router be using a MAC address? The mac address should only be coming from my cable modem?

The router is just providing switching functions behind the cable modem. I did a little reading on this and cannot understand it. My router is not actually routing, it is just a smart hub? It is taking the traffic from the destination source (Cable modem) and deciding which computer gets the traffic? It should be working at the IP level and not the MAC level? Is this right?

Tw00sh said:
will have to look the brand name up.

Not sure I understand this though.

Why would the router be using a MAC address? The mac address should only be coming from my cable modem?

The router is just providing switching functions behind the cable modem. I did a little reading on this and cannot understand it. My router is not actually routing, it is just a smart hub? It is taking the traffic from the destination source (Cable modem) and deciding which computer gets the traffic? It should be working at the IP level and not the MAC level? Is this right?

your cable modem has a mac address, but so does every nic... can you access your lan thru the router or is it only the internet that is down? i think if you answered that, it would help to figure out if the router's settings just got reset or if it is dead...

MAC address = Media Access Control address:
taken from Webopaedia
a hardware address that uniquely identifies each node of a network.

A node refers to any NIC and any hardware that creates/expands/connects a network (routers, switches, hubs, etc.).
The MAC address of the NIC can be cloned on most routers, I believe.

Soy

I was watching some program on TechTV one day and they had this discussion on whether or not using a router is legal. Using a router IS LEGAL but the cable companies do not have to give support for it. Which means if you ever have a cable problem chances are they are gonna ask if you have a router and if you say yes they will more than likely blame it on the router. A router is not illegal because in fact when you pay for cable you get a certain amount of bandwith and sharing the bandwith does not increase the bandwith it just serprates it which is not illegal. So do not feel like you are breaking the law because your not.

Back