• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can new drivers break older games ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wolf11

I just got a new video card the a 970 and got the latest Nvidia driver 355.82 and all my current games I got installed run great. But when I try to play BF:Bad Company 2 I'm getting like 10 fps in game and it's just this game. So when I try a older driver from this past July everything runs fine. I even did a reinstall with the same driver again using DDU but was the same result. There's nothing wrong with the card, it's just a driver issue right ?

My question is it normal for new drivers to break previous games that were working fine, or is it rare occurrence ?

I'm worried about BF:Bad Company 2 driver issue maybe never getting fixed and I won't be able to upgrade the driver for my 970 for a long time.

I just got a new video card the a 970 and got the latest Nvidia driver 355.82 and all my current games I got installed run great. But when I try to play BF:Bad Company 2 I'm getting like 10 fps in game and it's just this game. So when I try a older driver from this past July everything runs fine. I even did a reinstall with the same driver again using DDU but was the same result. There's nothing wrong with the card, it's just a driver issue right ?

My question is it normal for new drivers to break previous games that were working fine, or is it rare occurrence ?

I'm worried about BF:Bad Company 2 driver issue maybe never getting fixed and I won't be able to upgrade the driver for my 970 for a long time.
No their is nothing wrong with the card. Older games sometimes will only run on older drivers. Same goes for older cards, some will not run well on the newer Drivers. I have a few older Gpu's that I cannot use the newer drivers on with any luck. You can always just keep a copy of the driver that works well with BFBC2 and install it when you play it. Nothing to be worried about, it's just the way it is.

Back