• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can not install Any Windows on z170

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Updated my sig!

Not been able to format HDD but yeah I don't think it's that. I need to put some sort of drivers onto this USB stick.

He has a DVD with windows also a USB, I just don't know from here if the USB will boot windows.

Also, in boot options it only sees the HDD. How about storage boot option control? It says uefi only but what about legacy ( no idea what that is) or disabled.

- - - Updated - - -

Also there is a secure boot state which is set to disabled. Edit : oh can't access that anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

'Fast boot' also disabled

Does storage control have an auto setting?
I still don't see a signature

Nope, only disabled, uefi and legacy. Yeah I have no sig, just noticed that. I put it n my profile or something, will try to fix that. Am on my iPhone so it's a bit awkward.

It would help if we know the board model though. Maybe someone will see something you're not. You can try setting it to legacy and see if your DVD shows up on reboot

Pasted my specs into my sig but still cannot see it. Anyway it's a gigabyte ga z170 hd3p.

I don't think the answer is to boot from my dvd. As you can see in original post there is an issue where the motherboard is so new that the drivers on win7 DVD won't cut it, so it won't install.

upper right hand corner of page click settings. left side of page my settings->my profile-> "edit signature"
have you tried to re-burn the boot media? I've at times had to do it several times before it would run without saying "insert cd"
Is this your first build? Is there anyone you can reach out to in person?

Last edited:
Try brand new Sata cables.

If the HDD is brand new, they sometimes need to be activated and then formatted/partitioned. Sometimes when you get a new HDD, it's completely blank. It'll still turn on, but that's all you get.

TO activate this HDD, you need to install it into a working system. The Bios should see it, but in windows my computer will not. Then you open up Disk Management. This windows tool will show the HDD and will allow you to activate it and create partitions if need be.

As far as the DVD burner and such not working, try a different one if yours is older. Sometimes they just die.

Ok, think I have this figured. Managed to access cmd through the repair secection. Then selected disk and did a 'clean'. It is now installing Windows.

Ok, next problem. Have genuinely spent about 40 hours on this build now :(

So, can get to the desktop but it can't see either DVD or USB and Ethernet isn't working (it lights up ok). I need to install motherboard drivers BUT I can't because I have no way of transferring files.

Any ideas? Really stumped again.

Yeah USB keyboard and mouse work, makes no sense right?

Snappy driver installer?

Thanks for sticking with me, wouldn't hav blamed you any of you for giving up yet ANOTHER conundrum!

Just looked up snappy driver. Seems too good to be true? So you stick your files on USB including a snappy driver file that makes it readable?

This snappy driver is just a tool to help find drivers, you still need to access it via a USB stick. My motherboard needs drivers to get that abilty. Catch 22.

Back