• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can not install Any Windows on z170

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The idea behind unplugging the cable to your case just to eliminate all possibilities -likely and unlikely- of problems. That cable very likely will make no difference to remove, but running a system with JUST what is required will show where the issue is. Troubleshooting has to start somewhere, so that should be at a place where only known working components in a known working configuration are used. Thats all :) As for moving the cables around, perhaps the drive that you cannot see is in a port that doesnt work? Try plugging the unseen drive directly into the port that you know is working with the cable that you know is working and see what happens from there.

I have read many places that SATA II cables are just as good as SATA III and there is little to no difference between and brand or length/style or otherwise. That doesnt mean it is true, but new cables will eliminate the cables as the cause. Then we can move on to other possible causes.

Having said all that - since this drive isnt seen in the BIOS I feel the issue will have to be fixed there. That means making sure that you are on the most current version of your BIOS (or maybe rolling back if you are on the most current). Before that comes the CMOS reset and the procedure will be found in your motherboard manual, but most often is removing the internal batteyr on the board and jumping a particular set of pins. Unless you have particular settings in the BIOS (like an overclock that wsa difficult to achieve) there is little risk is resetting the CMOS because it is only meant to clear settings in the BIOS and shouldnt affect any of your other hardware (meaning Windows will still be just the way you left it). It is just another thing to clear off of the troubleshooting list. Maybe its just the cheapskate in me, but I usually try to do stuff that doesnt cost before I go and buy anything. It wont hurt you to have new cables and could possibly help, but what if they arent needed, right?

Good luck, and be sure to post back with what happens regardless

I would avoid using the SATA express ports for an Installation. You can always switch it after maybe.

I would avoid using the SATA express ports for an Installation. You can always switch it after maybe.

The installation isnt on eSATA. I am just trying to say build the minimum system and unplug everything but what you need.

I didn't say eSATA I said SATA express the ports that use multiple SATA ports to speed up data transfer. I wouldn't use those to install from. Could be why the BIOS isn't picking up the drive. I don't know which drives are which from his pic but something is definitely plugged into the express port.

Shouldnt be anything wrong with using those...they are native to the chipset. In his case, ports 0/1 are there.

That said, it is most certainly worth swapping it out, but, they are no different than non SATAe ports when used as SATA.... is there?

Shouldn't be but I would rule them out. Maybe it is just a bios setting?

Fixed :)

It was just me getting confused about my sata cables, I thought there were 2 cables, one with 1 end and 1 with 3 ends but really there were 3 cables. I have the weird external one from the top going into one port. I just pulled that out. Then I had one going from a port into original HDD and then the new HDD was not being plugged in at all, the plug just looked like it was coming off one of the cables that was plugged in.

So yeah, just me misreading my cables, I also reset my BIOS. I changed quite a bit trying to fix the missing USB and DVD features with Windows7. I have Windows 10 now, so default settings were fine. I'm better off for it, I'm sure.

Thanks again everyone, learnt quite a bit about PC building in my short time here.

Now it's on to the fun stuff overclocking you should be able to get to 4.4-4.5GHz because 4.2GHz is stock.

Back