• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can someone explain this fenomina to me :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

scooter4n

I got this new computer from Alienware.
In the case one SATA drive 250GB
When you start computer it shows RAID 0 stripe.
F10 do RAID setup and it is active stripe 0.
Windows shows one 238GB drive.
I been doing this raid and stuff for years, but this is killing me.
What is the benefit of striping one drive????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Nothing. You can leave it or kill the "array" and change the SATA controller setting to IDE(single) mode.

tuskenraider said:
Nothing. You can leave it or kill the "array" and change the SATA controller setting to IDE(single) mode.

I think breaking the RAID would actually improve performance, no RAID overhead.

thideras said:
I think breaking the RAID would actually improve performance, no RAID overhead.

can someone confirm that?
Why would they (alienware) slow down computer by doing that? This blows me away.

P.S. Or I can just get another HD and make it actual RAID 0.

scooter4n said:
can someone confirm that?P.S. Or I can just get another HD and make it actual RAID 0.
Plug and RAID my friend, Plug and RAID...

...lol, par

It won't be much of a difference, like maybe (stressed) 2% speed. Oh, and it takes CPU cycles.

Some controllers show up like this. Any single drive attached will show up as a striped array. It does not use CPU cycles because it has no parity calcs to do, it merely uses the controllers driver.

Yeah, it's probably just for simpler migration to a real RAID array. The OS is already running with the RAID drivers, so it'll be easier to change the drive to a real array if you choose -- no OS re-installation should be needed.

There should be no impact on performance -- the "RAID" operations are translated to simple single drive operations.

I agree it's showing that because they loaded the drivers and enabled the raid. Makes things a bit easier if you decide to set up an array.

Back