• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can this cooling setup work efficiently?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

General_A6

Hey guys,
today i thought of an interesting air flow setup in the computer keeping low temps.
right now i'm waiting for new parts to arrive from store so i can't try it out.

so if someone can try it for me and for the community it would be great.

needed parts: push-radiator-pull or push-push-radiator-pull and 2 x 140mm fans 120 can work as well but not as effective
The idea is to split the case into two parts with GPU (at lower pci-e slot) and the Upper drive base(rotating the upper drive base so the back side of it will be facing the front side of the case)

what do i mean is like on these drawings
etV3Iuu.jpg.png
Yd1apa3.jpg.png

do you think will it work?
can someone test it and post the results if it's better than a normal setup?

Last edited:
The basic issue I see with this is, you never want to try and move warm air down.

Use thermal properties, don't fight them.

in theory hes not making them go down theyre going parallel. at the same time cool air drops so for what you lose in pushing hot air up. maybe you gain in cool air down?

If you could fully partition the case, you may be able to achieve a workable flow.

My question is why? It looks like (from OP's post) we are working with an AIO cooler. Go with front and bottom intake and top and back exhaust.

If you could fully partition the case, you may be able to achieve a workable flow.

My question is why? It looks like (from OP's post) we are working with an AIO cooler. Go with front and bottom intake and top and back exhaust.

The white paper articles I've read from AMD and Intel both recommend exactly this setup (although sometimes without a bottom, front intake fan).

Just make all yo ur arrows go to the left and it would push hot air out. You look like your trying to make a vortex

top right pic shows a possible recirc of warm air of the two case fans on the front of the case. the push pull rear is bringing warm air into and over the MB which will also recirc thru the video card. not super critical, but to be kept in mind I would think. Also, where will the case be placed, if on a desk and next to operator, do you want it blowing in your face? in winter might be ok, but summer?

^^^This
Top picture is recepy for air recirculation.. thus running hotter & hotter
As far as you can get air moving, you should try to get it all moving more or less in the same direction... Front->Back (or Back->Front) or Bottom->Top (or Top->Bottom)

Another thing: thermals properties or the "Hot Air Rises, You Fool, Why Fight It" statement (and its variants) which keeps popping up.... :
Yes, hot air rises... BUT you are NOT looking at a temp differential between ambient & source of a few/several 100 degrees as in an open fire, or a brush fire, .... the "heat" created in a PC is not even near a hot cooking plate.

Therefore, the ONLY time when "hot air rises" is relevant in a modern PC is when you go complete passive cooling. As soon as you introduce a fan -and thus create forced airflow- the whole "Hot Air Rises" point become moot very quickly.

Another thing: thermals properties or the "Hot Air Rises, You Fool, Why Fight It" statement (and its variants) which keeps popping up.... :
Yes, hot air rises... BUT you are NOT looking at a temp differential between ambient & source of a few/several 100 degrees as in an open fire, or a brush fire, .... the "heat" created in a PC is not even near a hot cooking plate.

Therefore, the ONLY time when "hot air rises" is relevant in a modern PC is when you go complete passive cooling. As soon as you introduce a fan -and thus create forced airflow- the whole "Hot Air Rises" point become moot very quickly.

QFT

Does anyone else want to take bets that even inside a computer case the top of it is warmer than the bottom even with airflow?
(I have three temp sensors in my case. One behind the lower front intake, one in the middle of the case but on the same level/a couple inches above the intake, and finally one above the top exhaust. I see temperature differences of up to 7C while under load and about 3C on idle.)

While RnRollie is 99.9% correct, we do not need 100C differences to see convection in action. Now, if it really matters or not in the big picture is a whole different story (it doesn't), but just wanted to point out what I found. To add to that, I also moved the sensors AWAY from the components (towards the windowed panel instead of the motherboard), and as one would expect, the temperature differences there were less. To the tune of the upper sensor being about 3C cooler than in its previous location. Now this could of course be a case hotspot I am in, not sure, but that is what I found a couple years ago when I tested that theory. :)

Last edited:
I think there are too many variables to test reliably. EG: If you had the traditional air intakes at front & bottom, exhaust at top & back setup, you would see warmer temps at the top and back than at the front and bottom.

Agreed with too many variables... but just sharing my experience. I would imagine the same to be true if you reversed that, but not nearly the same difference in temperatures unless you hit a 'hot spot'. The air inside is not completely exchanged in a case either so it will tend to build up to a point in those 'hot spots'.

Ok having a hard time not going to the whole positive vs neg pressure thing. Evil grin.

Of course, for optimal cooling one could use a vacuumcleaner sucking out the air through one of the fan holes... while the whole case (except the vacuumcleaner) is sitting inside a minifridge...... :clap::clap:

:chair:

my thoughts exactly, if you could partition the case this may work, but why?

I have a similiare setup to that except i have my rad on the top, so the front two fans are intake, the bottom fan are intake, the rad is exaust the top left fan is exhaust and my gpu is exaust...i have found that to be the best setup.

Back