• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can you air cool a 80W TEC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
well, the heat output is 21w from that processor, so a 80w peltier is enough, as you generally need a peltier which has at least twice the rating of the heat output of the processor for the best results.

I'm assuming that overclocking the 650 won't get the heat output to more than double.

as for air cooling that thing, most probably. but you'll need a good heatsink for the 100~130w of heat.

have a look under the Peltiers section of overclockers, and especially this article

in the article, using a Swiftech 370 and a 33cfm fan, maximum load temps was 17C using a P3 600 at 800Mhz, stock volts, which is around 26w heat output.

I the Swiftech 370 is a good heatsink, but I think much better heatsinks have come onto the market. Also 33cfm is not that difficult to beat.

Last edited:
Thanks. I'll take a look at that.

I have a question for you guys. I'm going to be using a Abit BE6-II (which is a slot-1 mother board) with a slot-1 to 370 converter. Can I use normal 370 heatsinks?

One more question. What's the chance of a good 1GHz+ OC with a 80W TEC?

Thanks.

It is possible, but don't feel too dissapointed if it does not reach that high. The average for the 650 in the database was roughly 880ish Mhz. But a few people using extreme cooling did get above 1Ghz. Top entry was 1.2Ghz using 4x 52w peltiers I think.

From what I have heard it is possible to air cool a 80w tec but its not the best way of doing it.

Thanks for the help guys, but I've decided to work on a DIY phase change cooling setup. If any of you know a lot about this stuff, see my new thread.

Going to be very hard to air cool an 80 W TEC with about a 30 W or so heat load and keep the hot side to a good low temp. A good sized copper HS and a good fan is your best bet! GOOD LUCK.

doc said:
Going to be very hard to air cool an 80 W TEC with about a 30 W or so heat load and keep the hot side to a good low temp. A good sized copper HS and a good fan is your best bet! GOOD LUCK.

uhh.... check out the link I provided earlier...

they were using a 60x60 swiftech heatsink and getting good results

Thanks for the tip. I checked out the link, it would seem that pin fins have more value than standard fins. I have been designing my own HS's using a thermal modeling program at work. I have not yet done anything with pin fins yet, I will have to try this and see what improvements I can get. Thanks again.

Ok, a bit of a change.

I want to know if I can cool a 1.3Ghz Celi-t with a 80Watt tec and a Slk6+ with a 60CFM fan. Can it be done? Would it get below 0C no load temps?

hey, its not a problem to cool a 80watt peltier with a heatsink of proper cooling capacity(the swifty) Havent you guyse seen the MCX462-T? thats a beast, its a 226watt peltier aircooled.

Yeah, I beleve a sk6+ could do it without any problem, The sk6(non plus) would actually cool the peltier a little better. I dont knwo what the wattage output of the celi is, if its under 40watts fully overclocked itll be just fine.

Jon

Back