• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cannot delete $DATA hidden alternate streams on Windows 10

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
EDIT: I have discovered that this is done by Comodo Firewall and not Microsoft.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...d-Windows-10?p=7962793&viewfull=1#post7962793

I have a multi boot and if I reboot into any other OS, I can remove $DATA hidden alternate streams, so this is definitely a Windows 10 OS problem.
Access is denied even under real Administrator account under Windows 10.

I usually use this to remove them
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897440.aspx

I tried a different program:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/alternate_data_streams.html

But got the same problem... so it's definitely OS related. It's a long shot, but of anyone knows anything about this, please post.

I first started removing them back in the day to get rid of the annoying Open File - Security Warnings for already downloaded files...

Last edited:
Maybe not really an answer to your question but I have also annoying security issues in Win10. Generally with files which I can't delete as I have no rights or some other like booting with additional drives where are other Win8/10/Server 2012 installations ( even if one of the drives is connected via USB ) - I get blue screen with info that device is not bootable.

Recently I had some OS issues and after double Win10 recovery there were 'windows old' folders left. As a standard option you can delete these folders using system cleaning option - it doesn't work. I don't know what happened but I can't delete them in any way. I get error that I have no admin rights to modify files which are inside. I was changing user rights etc but still can't delete it.
It would be easier if I had it on SATA drive but it's M.2 and I have no free board with M.2 to connect it to some other PC with different OS. Well, I can use any Linux distribution or something else but I would rather know how to make it in my Win10.

You know, $DATA hidden alternate streams store information into existing files without affecting their functionality... I wouldn't have cared about them if it wasn't for the annoying pop-ups they caused on past versions of Windows when I tried to open files from which I didn't clean $DATA hidden alternate streams.

But now this is a privacy issue, a security issue.

When you download many files nowadays - they contain $DATA hidden alternate streams. I have zero problems removing them under any other OS...
I posted on Windows 10 Microsoft Technet forums, let's see if they know, but it is messed up that $DATA hidden alternate streams cannot be removed under Windows 10 - why!?

UPDATE: This is by design.

You cannot do this under Windows 10, period.

Just for my records: It's time for a list.

1. Unlike on Windows 8 or earlier, you cannot install any font under Windows 10 unless your Windows Firewall is turned ON.
2. Unlike on Windows 8 or earlier, you cannot delete $DATA hidden alternate streams on Windows 10.
3. Unlike on Windows 8 or earlier, all updates (even optional Windows updates and Non-windows hardware driver updates) begin installing the *moment* you check for updates without you being able to choose to only install critical Windows operating system updates only.

Last edited:
I've been kind of thinking about this lately.

Most things we download have $DATA hidden alternate streams, what is the motivation for not allowing the removal of $DATA hidden alternate streams on Windows 10? I mean they are basically hidden files that store data, that we now cannot remove under Windows 10?

What is the motivation behind preventing us to remove hidden data, it bothers me more that "they" don't want us removing it rather than wanting to actually remove it. I wonder what their official explanation is, I mean, maybe it makes sense?

Back