• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cannot enable XD in BIOS to upgrade to win8

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jootje1980

Hi all,
I want to upgrade to Windows8 but it needed NX/XD enbabled.
In the bios menu the XD bit is hidden. I already updated to the latest version F65 but didn't work.
I can't enable XD in the BIOS menu. I heard from HP that they not launching an update for my laptop.

My laptop is compaq CQ60-120EB and the processor Intel Pentium Dual Core T3200.

Thanks in advance for your help.

The CPU supports the Execute Disable Bit, and since the XD option is grayed out, it's possible the BIOS supports it too. To find out if it's enabled, open a command prompt and type...

wmic OS Get DataExecutionPrevention_Available

If the output is "TRUE," hardware-enforced DEP is available.

Last edited:
Dear Reducc900,

Thanks for your reply.
I typed what you asked me but I didn't get a number in return.
Instead I get:

DataExecutionPrevention_Available
TRUE

What does it mean?

Thank you verry much for your help!!!

If it is available on the processor, then it should be available through BIOS (although not guaranteed with OEM BIOS')

The BIOS may be listing it as something else. Look for:
No-Execute [...]
EDB (Execute Disabled Bit)
Execute Disabled [...]
EVP (Enhanced Virus Protection)

It should be under the Security Menu.

If it is available on the processor, then it should be available through BIOS (although not guaranteed with OEM BIOS')

The BIOS may be listing it as something else. Look for:
No-Execute [...]
EDB (Execute Disabled Bit)
Execute Disabled [...]
EVP (Enhanced Virus Protection)

It should be under the Security Menu.

It,s hidden in The bios menu, thats why I cannot enable it.
In The security menu I only have:
Administrator password
Start up password (something like that)

Nothing else.
It's the bios from a laptop and you can't change a lot.

Without knowing the full extent of the BIOS options available, it's going to be hard to point you in the right direction. Just because it is not available in Security, doesn't necessarily mean it is not available elsewhere, although that is a possibility.

I did find this article that links to a TweakBIOS utility. It is paid software ($20) but you can download and evaluate. This most likely means that you can view settings, but not commit changes to the BIOS. It is worth evaluating and seeing if the option is available for configuration, and then asking yourself if installing Windows 8 is worth another $20.

Edit: I should add a disclaimer here; if you decide to try this utility, you should look only for what you need currently. Playing with the Windows Registry is very dangerous as it could ruin your Windows installation. Playing with the BIOS with a utility like the above is even more risky and could prevent the laptop from booting altogether. Try to find the option you're looking for, Google the specific option + laptop model + "Tweakbios" to make absolutely sure it won't destroy your laptop (i.e. Look for no one posting how enabling that on a compaq laptop destroyed their life's work)

Last edited:
The program doesn't work. It don't start up.
I wondered if their is anyone who can mod the bios and enable the XD bit?

Assuming you downloaded the trial "Windows 7" version, then you may have an antivirus software running that blocks the execution of the code.

If you downloaded the freeware version (95 compatible), then you may or may not be able to get that to work. You can right click on the downloaded file, go to properties, click the compatibility tab and check the "Run this program [...]" box and select Windows 95.

I have not been in these forums for a while, and I could be wrong about this, but finding someone to rewrite a BIOS is a stretch.

Dear Reducc900,

Thanks for your reply.
I typed what you asked me but I didn't get a number in return.
Instead I get:

DataExecutionPrevention_Available
TRUE

What does it mean?

Thank you verry much for your help!!!
You should be good to go, as the TRUE value means hardware-enforced DEP is available, hence the XD bit is enabled. I edited my post above to reflect that. The pic. I posted was in regards to the DEP support policies.

Okay but I don't understand when I'm running the upgrade assistant it says that nx/xd is not available or is disabled.

Why's that?

@ Aspect404.
My OS system is win Vista. I think I downloaded the freeware version, could'nt find another version or didn't look good ;-).

I ran the program also as administrator but did'nt also work. I see a dos window but it dissapears immediately.

Thx for all your help!!

Why don't you just download the beta version of Win8 and see if it installs and runs? Just set up a dual boot if you want to keep your present install.

From what I just read, if you burn the Win 8 install to a DVD or make a bootable USB, you can prevent the NX/XD check.

Edit: If you're wanting to keep old files then simply install 'side by side' with Win 7. As redduc900 pointed out, you can dual boot as well so it's easier to go back to 7 once you're fed up with 8.

Back