• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cannot find the Vcore option

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zadawn

Registered
Hello people

My CPU sits @ 52 degrees on idle.

My Vcore is set to 1.4( googled it and it said that it is too high for my CPU) and i cannot seem to find the option to lower it(or take any actions regarding Vcore) in my BIOS.

My mobo:870S-c45 (fx) MSI
CPU: phenom 2 x4 965BE

If anybody could lend me a hand and point me into the right direction i'd be grateful.

PS:if there really isn't an option to lower it wouldn't i benefit from overclocking the CPU if it is going to stay at that level of Vcore anyway?(stock fan).

Thank you in advance.

Similar board by MSI

No wonder we don't see many AMD MSI motherboards in the forum. It takes forever to find a useful site for just the download of the manual.

(870S-C45 (FX) Manual
Bios >> Cell Menu >> CPU Feature

Found this picture of some 890 chipset board by MSI.

It shows the the bios opened to Cell Menu and Cell Menu opened to the CPU Feature menu and at the bottom of CPU Feature is shown the CPU Voltage adjustment location.

Attachments

• MSI Cell Menu.jpg
    MSI Cell Menu.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 1,162
Hello again and thanks for your concern!

When i open the CPu features menu the only options i have are the following:

AMD cool n' quiet

C1E Support

SVM Support

All the other overclocking options are in the Main menu of the Cell menu,no need to open up the CPU Features only that anything related to Vcore seems to be missing although i have the option to change DRAM Voltage(though its the only option in its section,section=from line to line, in case it sounds vague) which i also see in your picture.

Is there anything else i should try,like pressing a combination of buttons to open something up.I remember i had to do that for my old gigabyte mobo in order to bring the OC options up which were extremely limited anyway.

Check the "CPU Features Menu" again, you may have to scroll down.

Thanks for your input but there's really nothing but those 3 options one under another then the blue color of bios all to the bottom.

Okay this seems to running into the part where so many whom had an MSI AMD board began to argue about why some of these boards burned or blew-up well maybe not a literal explosion but the mosfets sounded quite loud when they were overloaded and the silicon was ruined.

That board seems to have done some 'evolving' into different components for the manufacturing.
First > 870S-C45 with 870 type chipset and n0 support for later Zambezi/FX-series processors.

Second > 870S-C45 (FX) with 870 type chipset and support for later Zambezi/FX-series processors; as indicated by the (FX) in the naming of the mobo.

Lastly so far > 870S-C45 (FX) - V2 with 770 type chipset and support for later Zambezi/FX-series processors; as indicated by the (FX) in the naming of the mobo. So although still named an 8XX type chipset mobo, it is said at MSI site to n0 longer even have any form of 8XX chipset.

Since these cheap entry level boards were said by MSI to support the later 6 core Thubans and now the FX-series but users had issues with pushing the boards and the boards failing dramatically and MSI even saying at their website not to run burn-in tools on some of these cheap entry level mobos, "but" still wanting to sell them to the unsuspecting as ready for all the AMD cpus including the power hungry AMD FX-series, they have made the bios n0n-Vcore adjustable and let the motherboard do all the Cpu Voltage adjustment. By doing this they can keep a user from dialing in a lot of cpu voltage and pushing the board like they did last year and having pretty dramtic failures of the VRM circuit.

A final couple of thoughts: I have looked and looked and found n0 review of this cheaper MSI motherboard, to see if they had a bios picture. I can find them for what they consider their better line of mobo's but nothing for this cheap entry level mobo.

If you are experiency high temps and believe it is from Vcore that is higher than just necessary, I expect you will not find any setting in the bios on the board since they have said it now works with FX-series processor. They do not want you messing with the Vcore and harming the VRM circuit to the cpu. So you can get better cooling or another motherboard more suited to the FX type processor or live with what you have.

There is one other thought that intrigues me and that is you as an owner, can contact MSI support and give them your make and model and revision of motherboard and even the serial number and the bios version you are using and ASK them where the Vcore adjustment is located in the bios version your are using with the FX processor in the cpu socket. I really wonder what sort of answer they will supply when you give them full details of the board in use.

I have tried contacting them as you said RGone but i couldn't as the site gave me some kind of error (probably because they do not work in the weekends).

Anyway i have downloaded and installed AMD overdrive( probably you're familiar with it) and set the CPU Vcore to 1.2 from 1.44. which keeps my CPU temperature on idle @ 39-40 degrees.

Now 3 more questions arise:

1. Is it safe to run at this low Vcore and what's the optimal Vcore at which my CPU can work at its full potential considering stock settings?

2.Does this software keep the changes after reboot or do i have to set them everytime i boot up my PC?

3. I am willing to test my CPU using prime95 and its torture feature,are there any risks to this regarding hardware damage?

Thanks again!

In bios, many options are hidden when things are left on "Auto".

I have a old 770-c45 msi board laying about, I could dig it out and have a look at the bios for you if you want, it was a good little clocker to say its a cheapo board.
Mark

Back