• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't boot with GC-Titan Ridge PCI-e card when OC'd

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cmer

Hey guys,

I have a Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master w/ an i9 9900k running very stable at 5.1GHz (1.3v).

I just plugged in a newly acquired GC-Titan Ridge PCI-E card and the system now won't boot. It tries a bunch of times then eventually resets the BIOS settings to factory, and boots this way. The system only seems to want to boot with "optimized defaults" loaded.

I'm confused because the overclock is not actually what seems to cause the issue. I have loaded my OC settings then changed the multiplier manually to 36 (default), and that didn't boot up either.

What could be the issue? Is there another OCing setting that might be affecting PCI-E cards? I have 2 GPUs, 1 wifi/bt card and 2 NVMe and they're all fine.

Thanks in advance!

You are not using the BCLK to overclock are you?

I would go into bios and hit the hotkey that returns all bios setting to optimized defaults before doing anything else. If the card works in default bios setting then you are doing something wrong with a manual setting change.

You are not using the BCLK to overclock are you?

I would go into bios and hit the hotkey that returns all bios setting to optimized defaults before doing anything else. If the card works in default bios setting then you are doing something wrong with a manual setting change.

I am not using BCLK. I know it's likely another setting causing issues but I just can't figure out which one for the life of me, which is why I was hoping someone could shed some light on what to look out for. My last overclock was a Celery 300a @ 450MHz so I'm a little bit rusty :)

thanks!

So you are saying the system is stable at 5.2 without the Titan Ridge card?

Stable at 5.1 but yes. Absolutely. The second I stick that card in, it won't even post.

I was looking this card up on Amazon. Reviewers said it requires a supplemental cable that plugs into the motherboard. Do you have that in place? In addition, it's not compatible with some motherboards.

Could you please list your system components and specs in a "Signature". To create a Sig click on Setting in the upper right corner of the page and look down the left side and click on Edit Signature. We simply don't have enough info about your components to help with this. You can refer to my Sig for guidance as to what we like to see. The Sig will travel with every post you make. Thanks.

Yes everything is hooked up properly. The card is indeed compatible and works just fine when I load the optimized bios settings. Signature set as suggested :)

Please add the make and wattage of your PSU. That was one of the questions in my mind. You have two GPUs which are relatively power hungry units and then you start to OC the system. That would take a pretty beefy PSU to cover. Adding in the Titan Ridge card could push it past the limit. But probably not the issues since on a high end system like that you probably have a high end PSU. Nonetheless, please add the PSU info to your Sig.

What are you using the Titan Ridge card for? Are you using external video card enclosures? Fast Storage?

Ok I added my PSU to my sig. I have a EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3. However, I don't see this being an issue because: 1) I don't game, 2) this happens even with just 1 GPU plugged in, 3) there's nothing connected to my TB3 card.

I plan on using it to connect the LG UltraFine 5k monitor via USB-C/TB3.

Thanks!

Ok, I just figured it out. Posting in case it can help someone in the future. It seems to be a bug with the board.

All my crazy overclocking and tweaking settings didn't matter, Internal Graphics is what made it not boot up. Disabling Internal Graphics works.

It's so odd. I don't understand...

Apparently when onboard video is enabled and the Titan Ridge is installed the PCI-e device initialization sequence gets screwed up. I wonder what would happen if you were to have removed one of the video cards. As it is, you have a lot of PCI-e devices that need to be initialed.

What good are all these pcie slots if we can't use them? 😂

I get the same problem with just 1 gpu. It definitely seems like a bug in the firmware/bios?

You could be right. But it may also depend on what kinds of devices you put in the PCI-e slots and how they interact with the system. It could also be a bug in the card's firmware or driver.

Back