• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can't break 350fsb with my QX6850

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
According to the ecalc, 3.5Ghz @ 1.5v can pull up to 224W.

Your Q6666 would be in the same ball park...If you have a G0, you will be pulling less.

It blue screens once stress is applied with LinX
Min vid is 1.1625 max is 1.4000
and generally I use CoreTemp

1.4 VID? That seems awfully high. I though the max was 1.325v. Can you post up a RealTemp screenshot that shows the VIDs, please?

A lot of people here seem to confuse VID with the actual vcore.

VID is the STOCK voltage at STOCK CPU speeds...

the VID of the chip that is reported (with CPUz, and RealTemp) changes with the multi.
VID at x8 is 1.2875, x9 is 1.325, x10 is 1.4000
I'll take a realtemp ss when I get home in a couple hours.

as far as the PSU goes, its a Corsair hx1000w, plenty of power

I appreciate the help guys!

According to the ecalc, 3.5Ghz @ 1.5v can pull up to 224W.

Your Q6666 would be in the same ball park...If you have a G0, you will be pulling less.

i do have a g0, its an earlier one, and it loves voltage, the more the merrier :) a common misconception is that because its a g0, itll do high clocks with lowvcore, and for the most part its true. the one running lower vcore for the same clocks, are still pulling the same amperage, there was a white paper i read last year about it, but i dont have a link ff hand.

my vid is 1.2875, but needs 1.48 for 3.6, and 1.58 for 3.8, it makes the meter spin :beer: i have seen my rig pull 430w just running small ffts heheh. but thats with a higher vcore.

edit:

thats my rig as a whole, from the plug, im not sure exactly what the cpu is pulling. but its definately not stock heheh.

the VID of the chip that is reported (with CPUz, and RealTemp) changes with the multi.

1kw PSU for a rig that pulls no more than 500W from the wall... yikes.

Sell that thing and grab an Corsair 620HX (still can go SLI with 9800gtx) and pocket $100. Wowzas!!!! :eek:

i do have a g0, its an earlier one, and it loves voltage, the more the merrier :) a common misconception is that because its a g0, itll do high clocks with lowvcore, and for the most part its true. the one running lower vcore for the same clocks, are still pulling the same amperage, there was a white paper i read last year about it, but i dont have a link ff hand.

my vid is 1.2875, but needs 1.48 for 3.6, and 1.58 for 3.8, it makes the meter spin :beer: i have seen my rig pull 430w just running small ffts heheh. but thats with a higher vcore.

edit:

thats my rig as a whole, from the plug, im not sure exactly what the cpu is pulling. but its definately not stock heheh.
Yeah 430W from the wall @ 80% efficiency is like 350W system usage...

Also, and not to be argumentative, but, its not a common misconception if you are the anomoly. It IS common that it can o/c higer and likely use less voltage, but as im sure you know, every chip is different!

well I want future proof lol, I would rather have too much than be barely scrapin by on my continuous load. I'm going to be adding a water cooling system soon and may possibly add a 3rd 9800gtx at some point.

Still though even in tri SLI with your rig, you likely wouldnt even break 650W. And it has been mentioned to run your PSU in the 50% to 80% range. But I certainly understand. I was shocked when my ring only pulled 463W from the wall with P95 Small FFT running and Furmark!!!

Back OT: Have you tried flashing that BIOS yet to a different one?

not yet, I'm gonna try the p06 and p07 BIOS's after I get home... people on the evga forums seem to like those two the best.

A lot of people here seem to confuse VID with the actual vcore.

VID is the STOCK voltage at STOCK CPU speeds...

A lot of people do confuse them...

But to clarify...

VID is just a hard-coded signal sent to the mobo from the CPU. It is not necessarily the STOCK voltage at STOCK CPU speed. It is still up to the mobo to decide how to interpret the VID signal. Some mobos pump exactly the same voltage as the VID when the CPU is stock, but in my experience most mobos actually pump quite a bit less voltage than the VID when all stock settings are used.

I asked about the 1.4v VID (not vcore) b/c I though that the VIDs ranged from 1.2v-1.325v...I've yet to see higher.

I've also never seen a situation where the VID can vary like this. The VID is set by pins that are either high or low, but are static. They do not change, so I don't understand how the VIDs you are seeing can vary so much. It must be some kind of software bug that isn't reporting it right. Make sure to compare what CoreTemp says your VID is vs what RealTemp says your VID is.

at x9 multi it is 1.325 max, but as the multi raises the vid raises.

CoreTemp said 1.4v while at x10, 1.325 while at x9 and 1.2875 while at x8
I will see what real temp says at all the diff multi's when I get home.

What is the VID on the STOCK multi? Thats all you need to care about as that is what intel guarantees the chip to run at (volts) on stock multi and stock speeds...

Im so 65nm retarded I swear.... LOL

1.325 is the highest for 65nm, but that doesnt ALWAYS mean its a terrible overclocker compared to say a 1.25. I get frustrated when I see people say, "OH WOW low VID= great overclocker". While there is a correlation, its not a rule.

A lot of people do confuse them...

But to clarify...

VID is just a hard-coded signal sent to the mobo from the CPU. It is not necessarily the STOCK voltage at STOCK CPU speed. It is still up to the mobo to decide how to interpret the VID signal. Some mobos pump exactly the same voltage as the VID when the CPU is stock, but in my experience most mobos actually pump quite a bit less voltage than the VID when all stock settings are used..
Well, its a static number on the chip, what the mobo does with it is, of course, another story. But for all intents and purposes and to K.I.S.S Its the stock Vcore at stock speeds that Intel guarantees the chip to run at. :santa2:

at x9 multi it is 1.325 max, but as the multi raises the vid raises.

CoreTemp said 1.4v while at x10, 1.325 while at x9 and 1.2875 while at x8
I will see what real temp says at all the diff multi's when I get home.

If you could post that up I'd appreciate it. I'm really curious to see this.

Taking screenies right now, they'll be up in about 10 minutes

K, they're uploaded, im gonna flash my BIOS back to p07 and see how that works.. be back in a bit with results

Attachments

• x8.jpg
    x8.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 43
  • x9.jpg
    x9.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 46
  • x10.jpg
    x10.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
no luck with p07, couldn't even run 3.5ghz at the same voltage, but p06 seems to like it :D
I'm gonna try for 3.6ghz (360x10, 400x9, and 450x8)

I have come to the conclusion that I have an extremely voltage hungry chip. I will have to wait until I finish buying and setting up my water cooling kit to go any further, as I am temperature limited.

Back