• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with my first OC!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ran my PC all night after the tests I did at 4.5Ghz and 1.35V, all totally fine, but today when I started my PC it turned on and got to the windows loading page but then went black and turned off, turned it back on and downloaded a game, tried to play this game and the PC went black again

Are you looking at the peak voltage with HWmonitor in windows?

You list 8 GB of ram but what is it and is it a "dual channel" kit bought as a set?
Funny I know that PSU isn't that old and should be fine but that sudden black screen makes me think it's power related either PSU or mobo

Maybe try keeping the voltage at 1.35 and lowering your OC to 4.4Ghz or 4.3Ghz

Sorry for replying late...

I can try that but Im just confused why this would happen when my stress tests, which I ran for hours, were bang on!

Any thoughts on why it might be happening, just it now worries me putting the chip back to 1.35V

Because every load is different. Stress tests aren't the end all for stability. It will give you a great idea and for most it's enough.. sometimes it isnt. Don't look any deeper than that. ;)

Little update if you guys would like to hear, I went back to 4.5Ghz but upped the Voltage from 1.35 to 1.36 and none of the previous issues have occurred... So thank you for all of your advice, it is much appreciated. Although I do have one question, all my cores and CPU clock are at 4.5ghz, but I noticed something called the North Bridge Clock which is still at stock 3.9Ghz... What is this and would it improve performance more to overclock this too?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, IF you have any knowledge on this subject I'm looking to optimise/defrag/TRIM my SSD's, but they are setup in RAID0 format and I wasn't sure if this would create a problem? I've asked in other places but so far no response so maybe you guys might know something?

My Max 'VID Voltage' in HWmonitor, with my new settings of 4.5Ghz and 1.36V, says 1.342V... sorry for not replying I didn't realise there was a page 2. LOL

- - - Updated - - -

My RAM is HyperX FURY Series 8GB (2x 4GB) DDR3 1866MHz CL10 DIMM Memory Module Kit... any help??

Don't worry about ring/Northbridge.

Trim for SSDS in R0 has been around for years. You shouldn't need to manually do anything.

What additional help are you looking for?

Hi again, replied to your last comment but it seems I mustn't have sent it... All I was trying to do was get a more stable frame rate on Arma 3 (with mods)... it is normally between 30-60 fps but sometimes it does have a fit and drops to below 10 briefly... I understand Arma with mods does not run well at the best of times but I've seen some people on youtube saying after optimising their SSD they didnt get frame rate drops any more.

Hi again, replied to your last comment but it seems I mustn't have sent it... All I was trying to do was get a more stable frame rate on Arma 3 (with mods)... it is normally between 30-60 fps but sometimes it does have a fit and drops to below 10 briefly... I understand Arma with mods does not run well at the best of times but I've seen some people on youtube saying after optimising their SSD they didnt get frame rate drops any more.

Yeah you shouldn't need to "optimize" your SSD's. Now if you had them on standard HDD's yes I could see optimization needed (Degfraging) but other then that SSD's are all in one efficient data machines.

I would check for a application spiking or running in the background using Task Manger.

Ok thanks for the replies! When I play Arma 3, it seems at times the fps can lock to 30 fps and literally not change, unless it goes down to around 25, for long periods of time like 5-10 minutes, then it will go back to fluttering between 40-60 and sometimes more. I first noticed it when I was driving around in boats and I thought it may be the splash back from the boat cause a GPU load but then I've been noticing it more and more as I do normal tasks in the game where sometimes I get 60+ fps. For these periods of time where I'm locked of 30 fps it is really annoying, and I have only noticed it since I OC'ed my GPU...

Did you check your background processes using Task Manger with the game not running to see what your CPU utilization is for a couple minutes? Mine is 0-3%

Yes, my CPU usage is around 3% while running apps such as spotify, chrome and Skype...

- - - Updated - - -

It appears when I log out and back in, it fixes this issue... But I have only just noticed this, will test it when it happens again.

You might want to check your "page file" size. With SSDs you don't need a very large one and if ARMA is writing to disk instead of memory it could cause lags.
I would set it to 1024 min and 2048 max. Some software still needs a page file to run so I wouldn't disable it.

Hi Johan, thanks for your comment... just edited my page file size now, will report back after a few hours of gameplay tonight.

Just quickly jumped on and got this error...
Close programs to prevent information loss - Your computer is low on memory. Save your files and close these programs:
Arma 3

Arma is a memory hog if not mistaken now that you mention it. Do you have any mods turned on? That would explain for the slow downs especially with that crash and that error you just got.

Maybe ARMA requires a larger page file. I had that issue with DOOM.
I did a quick search about page file and ARMA and get mixed results some worked fine with 1GB others needed 8GB

I have mine set at fixed 6144gb (windows recommended) and never had problems with any game including Doom and Arma :thup:

Back