• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't find good 120MM Heatsinks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arkade

I used to use stuff like the Meghalems, then True's, then Venomous X's. Ever since I sold them when my D5400XS went to water, i never expected it to be hard to find them again. So My D5400XS was scrapped partway through 2011 due to budget cuts. Now that we are unable to even afford replacement machines or even nice ones, we decided to bring the D5400XS out of retierment with whatever parts i could find

I found both TFC1212DE's that used to be attached to the radiators, but i cannot find a 120MM heatsink. I have 2 spare Venomous X RT's here, but they don't have any clips for 120mm by 38mm fans. I could use my spare AFB1212SH-PWM's with it, but thats not fun, so any good 120MM heatsinks that fit 120mm by 38's fitting socket 775 mounts?

Need 2 of them

Wait, you're halted by a lack of fan clips? Rubber bands, zip-ties, hair ties, fishing line, all-thread...there's literally hundreds of options!

Put common fan mount screws in each outside corner but leave the head sticking out a bit. Get a package of hair bands like women use to make pony tails and stretch them from the pegs created by the screws. The elastic in the hairbands is tuffer than a rubber band and will last longer. The last thing you want is to have a fan come off the rad and fly around inside the case.

There's a Megahalems for sale in the cooling section of the classifieds.

Last edited:
.-.

At 252 CFM and god knows how much static pressure, rubber bands or weak clips is a NO. 6K rpm into a part will ruin the machine AND the fans. Trents, Like ur idea quite a bit, but still a bit iffy. Is it possible i could use fan clips from megahalems on the Venomous X?

Again, at that CFm and pressure, it can come right off and if it's not held down very very well, it'll ruin one of the few good machines left >.>

Last edited:
Will those clips work with 120x38mm fans, however? Do the clips hook into the inside or the outside of the fan corners?

Outside, i'd need the 38 mm kit's and they are stupidly overpriced some places, like 20$ per kit.

You have 2 of them? If so, i've never bought from anyone on OC, how does this work >.<

actually, the zip ties -like Brando has shown- are probably a more solid solution vs the (rattling) clips that come with most of these coolers.

I've always regarded those pieces of steel wire clips with suspicion.. to me it seems they keep fans in place through sheer willpower and not so much by engineering

Take a look at a photo of a megahalem with clips attached to 120x38's.

Back