• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't Install Vista Home on New Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jchunter

Just finished a new build: Q6600, 2GB RAM, ASUS P5K-E mobo, EVGA 8800GTX, 150GB SATA Raptor, 500GB SATA WD HD, SATA Lite-On DVD burner.

The hardware comes up great but when I try to install Vista Home premium, the install program stalls when I try to select either of my SATA hard drives because:

"Computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure the disk controller is enabled in the computer's bios menu."

The computer BIOS Main screen shows SATA1= Raptor HD, SATA2 = DVD, SATA5=500GB HD and the Advanced screen / Onboard Device Configuration lists the "J-Micron eSATA/PATA Controller" = ENABLED and Controller Mode = "IDE"

I have already read the KB article http://support.microsoft.com/KB/927520.

My P5K-E bios is flashed to version 502.
Both my drives are new and formated NTFS.
I can't run the other tests in the KB article because they require an installed operating system.

Any ideas would be most appreciated.

I wired the SATA connector for the Raptor Drive to SATA1 on the mobo, because that would be the way it should boot after Vista is installed on it. I set the boot sequence in the bios several different ways, including DVD first. Doesn't make any difference to the Vista install program.

Sata drivers? Also, remove any other drives connected when installing Vista.

I ran into this not too long ago on an Asus P5K. Try changing your hard disk config from IDE to AHCI and see if that does the trick.

~ Gos

Thanks, but changing the Bios Controller Mode from IDE to ACHI did not work. I also downloaded the latest and greatest hard disk drivers from Western Digital and installed them (via USB memory stick), using the Vista install "Load Driver" feature. I installed the SATA drivers for both the non-RAID and RAID versions. However, there was no joy in Mudville, tonight...

Edit: BTW, I also flashed the P5K-E to version 63 (latest), with no results....

I sent an email to ASUS two days ago but did not get a response.

I went ahead and tried using the DOS Utility Diskpart "clean all" command on Disk 0 (the Raptor). The Dos prompt has not reappeared, yet (after 8 minutes)...

Hard to believe that I am forced to use command-line DOS to install Vista........

Last edited:
The DOS prompt finally reappeared after 15 minutes, apparently successful. I closed the DOS window, pressed the Refresh button on Vista install but I got the same response as before and when I select the Raptor, (Disk 0), it says "Windows unable to find a system volume that meets Criteria for installation."

BTW, DiskPart det disk command stated there were no volumes (before cleaning).
Edit: DiskPart still says there are NO VOLUMES on the raptor - after cleaning.
Edit2: Making progress: Now able to select NEW in Vista, which created partitions, then the FORMAT button enabled and I formated NTFS, then the Drive 0 TYPE field was filled out with PRIMARY. Diskpart now shows drive letters and declares the drives to be healthy. However, Vista still refuses to install (even after refreshing)

EDIT3: Finally, after cancelling Vista install, resetting the BIOS Controller Mode back to IDE, restarting Vista install (and manually entering the *&%* Product Code for the 27th time), it declared my drives suitable for Vista and started installing!!

Last edited:
Bottom line: Vista (specifically intended for new computers) is the first program a new computer build sees, so it would have been infinitely better to offer to format the hard drives than to put up those goofy, non-communicative messages about "not supporting booting" and "not meeting criteria for Vista installation."

Moreover, the first time I ran the Vista install, the FORMAT button was hidden and disabled. Later, I discovered that you have to press the NEW button (hidden behind the ADV button) to create a partition, which, only then, enables the FORMAT button. Sheesh!

I hope that this info helps other computer builders.

Hey jchunter.

Suffering from the same problem...
Bit of a noob, but im quite competent with my technology stuff.
Built the pc myself, had initial problems but BIOS update fixed it all up.
Just when i though i could go ahead and install vista ive had troubles with my 150gb raptor. Getting the same message....
Tried to format it through the 'new' button but still no go. Where did u find the drivers for the raptor? Doesnt seem to be any for vista...
Would greatly appreciate some help here.
Thanks

Statocaster,
I had no problem with Vista's default Raptor drivers. In fact, later, after I had Vista installed, I downloaded the latest and greatest SATA drivers from WWW.WesternDigital.com and they were quite old - circa 2003...

Are your SATA connectors all firmly mated? Mine are all on primary channels - had to buy some right angle connectors to fit under the graphics board. Does the Raptor show up in the Bios? Vista would not install until they were set to IDE mode. Worst case, you may have a bad drive...

Back