• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cant make up my mind! Need your recommendations, gaming monitor!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

delicio

This 5 year old 19" Samsung is showing me its slow death of flickers resulting in lengthier time to get a stable screen.....its only a matter of time. :clap:

To make this concise, what I am looking for is top of the notch given of course some money limitations.

Looking for:
-Primarily gaming: FPS, RPG, RTS, RACING, you name it.
-24 or 27 inches (preferably 27)
-LED or IPS panel, whichever provides a better image
-120hz, I suppose. Is it even relevant with an IPS panel?
-of course lowest latency possible
-$400 more or less, less being better

(Ah yes, I have a core i7, 470 gtx, 1000w, etc etc if it makes any difference....and if it does, disregard it and offer me the best hehe)

I just started researching monitors today, and have just run into the term IPS, noting that apparently it will provide the "best" image. There are just so many options, reviews, preferences that its hard to cultivate a decision given so many outlets. Hopefully posting on here will result in some sort of general agreement. Fellas, what to choose?

BEST GAMING MONITOR, BEGIN! :popcorn:

Last edited:
IPS have better color accuracty and viewing angles.
TN have better response time and are very cheap.
All 120MHz monitors are TN so far.
LED is backlighting technology, so it can be utilized on either IPS or TN panels.

You will have no problem finding a 27" TN monitor in your price range, but if you want IPS, you'll need to stick to 24".

Do you have any interest in 3D capability?

Thanks for the response! I assume 3D is still nothing more than a gimmick, or at least not even close to acceptable, so no it is not an interest. (However prove me wrong if 3D is something other lol.)

Based on current IPS and TN monitors, what would be better for any and everything with more focus on gaming? And with that, any monitors you recommend?

3D is anything but a gimmic right now with nVidia's "3D Vision"....its actually really good.
I have one of the best TN monitors out right now for 3D Vision for sale, its a 23" Planar, check my listing in the Classifieds ;) It'll run normal 2D content at 120Hz, or full 1080p 3D content with the active shutter glasses I have included in the sale.

Now, I really like the 3D....but I'm selling because I just don't like the 23" size...I prefer larger monitors, so I'm planning to replace it with a 27" model.

In your price range, I'd suggest something like the 23" Planar I have for a TN panel....or a non-3D capable 27" unit.
Or, I'd suggest looking for a nice 24" IPS panel. Most gamers are perfectly happy with a TN panel, only serious image quality guys stay away from them (photo/video editing pros for instance). IMO, TN is the better choice for a gamer on a budget, you'll get a lot more for your money :thup:

Here is a nice deal on a 27" Asus TN based panel:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236091

Here is a nice 24" Dell IPS unit...and I like the extra vertical resolution on this one :)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260047

Last edited:
Personally I don't think the 120Hz premium is worth it. But I'm not a super hardcore FPS type game, I'm more into virtual racing, and 60Hz is perfectly acceptible for me. Those models you linked both look decent, but I'd get the 27" :thup:

Back