• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't push P4 2.6c over 3.3Ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caffiene

Registered
Pentium4 2.6c,
aircool Thermaltake Spark7+ @full speed,
ABIT IC7 mobo,
FSB 254
cpu volt 1.675
generic DDR400
cpu/ram 5:4
stable, Prime95 ran for 6 hrs

Looking around several OC databases, I've seen 2.4c being able to achieve 3.5Ghz.

I have tried going to 3.4 Ghz (fsb 262) with no success. cpu set to 1.725v. Prime95 would hang within 1 min.

When running prime95, cpu temp climbs to 59C.

Would better cooling enable me to push it further?

Did you try 3:2 to be sure its not your RAM? Otherwise, make room in the boat!:) I've also tested at 262fsb (1.7V) without stability in Prime95. I think its still a decent overclock. Factor out the extreme cooling results from the cpu database avg of 3381 mhz and we're close to the average.

blah

Yeah, I did try cpu/ram 3:2, it made no difference.

So is the cpu temperature the limiting factor here? I read this review of this nVentiv Mach II freezer box and they were able to reach 5Ghz out of a P4 3.2Ghz.

http://www.truextreme.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Seviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=41

Don't know what other cooling they needed, northbridge?

Would you guys pay $1200 to have 5Ghz 2 yrs ahead of time? And this thing is reusable, as long as the company doesnt go under, they will keep making new heads for different sockets. So you will always be 2 yrs ahead, at every upgrade point.

check out kit-tronics.com they have phase change for triple digits (Mach 1) and i personally think its worth the money

There's another topic about this problem. Seems like a huge batch of these just get stuck right around 3.3, my own included.

Back