• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cant see WIn10 machines on local network

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crow846

So I have again some issues with Win10 network settings.
I have 3 Win10 machines and 1 Win7 machine connected to the same wifi network.
Win7 machine has network sharing turned on and I can access that machine from any Win10 machine.
But I can't see my Win10 machines. they just now showing up.

I checked Media sharing and i can see Windows player of each machines on network explorer but that's it.
SMB is turned on. and I can access every Win10 machine from Android machine.
I checked all the settings and everything fine.
I even shared all the drives in each machines but still nothing.

Wonder what setting I missed.
Hope you could help me cause I am once again clueless here.
Thanks.

Can you see the two other Windows 10 machines from the any one of the Windows 10 machines?

Also, Go into Control Panel and enable all SMB v.1 settings for all Windows 10 machines then restart all computers. I have a sneaky feeling this is the issue. Not all of your equipment is compatible with the newer SMB protocols and SMB v.1 is now disabled by default in Windows 10.

Attachments

• SMB v.1.JPG
    SMB v.1.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Can the Windows 10 machines see each other? I've had this problem as well. Even my Windows 10 machines come and go as far as being visible on the network tree in File Manager. Seems like this issue may have coincided with Microsoft's decision to can Home Group. However, I am still able to map network drives.

Not sure where the setting is, but Windows 10 uses the home/work/public network scenarios a bit differently than 7 did. If you're on public, it will by default block incoming connections, and switching it to either home or work profiles will re-open it again.

storm-chaser, Advanced IP Scanner worked and enabled me to see all connected devices on my network, including android tablets and phones. Thanks so much. Once I entered the network credentials in the popup window my wife's machine showed up in the network tree of File Manager.

The odd thing is that my wife's computer shows up as an IP address instead of the machine name but my laptop shows up with the machine name. Wonder what's going on there?

Attachments

• IP.JPG
    IP.JPG
    10.8 KB · Views: 74
storm-chaser, Advanced IP Scanner worked and enabled me to see all connected devices on my network, including android tablets and phones. Thanks so much. Once I entered the network credentials in the popup window my wife's machine showed up in the network tree of File Manager.

The odd thing is that my wife's computer shows up as an IP address instead of the machine name but my laptop shows up with the machine name. Wonder what's going on there?

You could try updating the hosts file on your local machine so the IP address gets mapped to the correct machine name.

See here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_(file)

Alternatively, you could also try flushing the DNS.

Okay, doing a network reset on the two computers that were not seeing and not being seen by other devices on the network fixed the issue for me. Now all computers show up with machine names on all stations. This has worked for me before in these situations but I had forgotten about it. Windows 10 feature updates often bork things like this and wipe out some custom system settings as well.

Keep in mind that these are all Windows 10 machines and I know OP's issue was with the Win 7 machine. I don't any longer have a Win 7 machine so I'm not sure there is such a handy tool built into Windows 7. But try it on the Windows 10 machine you have, OP, and maybe the Windows 7 machine will be able to see them.

Attachments

• reset.JPG
    reset.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
I'm a little confused. Are you speaking for the OP when you say the Advanced IP scanner resolved his aforementioned network problems?

Or are you talking about your own personal network here (trents)?

Speaking for myself. The Advanced IP Scanner enabled me to see and access the other computers on my network. But it did not provide a lasting fix for them not showing up in the network section of Windows File Manager. As soon as I closed Advanced IP Scanner they disappeared again. What did provide a lasting fix for me was using the Windows 10 network reset tool.

Thank you all for your suggestions and checked them all.
At the end what sorted it out was the 'Network Reset' command.
After the reset the Win10 showed up and I could access all the files.

Thank you all again for you help.
This forum keeps me sane at times like this. lol.. Win10 is far from being perfect.

Just a heads up, Crow846, at some future time you may need to run that reset tool again. My experience is that Microsoft's biannual feature updates undo and screw up a lot of stuff.

Back