• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't share Broadband...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kronos138

my two buddies are trying to share an internet connection through an older linksys hub.

whoever turns on their computer first gets a connection but the other guy comes up dry. the second guy doesn't have a gateway address. both guys have XP pro and integrated NICs.

any and all help will be appreciated...

EDIT: We're dumbasses...figured it out...he's running out to buy a router

I think it would be that your ISP isn't giving out multiple IP addresses and you will need a router to act as a DHCP server to dish out private IP addresses. Secondly yeah get a router, hubs are really slow and you will get collisions, as my friend who is taking a cisco class basically says "it's when data goes BOOM" but yeah your data colides basically and you have to resend it and that slows everything down.

we had a moment of boneheadedness...you're right of course about the IPs. he picked up a router with DHCP...GOOD JOB US!!

Back