• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Capacitor replacement done the lazy way!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UnL0GiC

Registered
About 18 months ago i ripped out my ABIT KT7-r and changed a whole bounch of faulty capacitors, although i didn't bother to change the healty ones. Now in the past few weeks my system started acting wierd i even had to downclock from 2,2 to 2.0 ghz to make it stable. A quick look a the motherboard made me realize the problem BAD CAPACITORS AGAIN!
I felt pretty stupid not having changed them all the first time... :bang head

Anyway I didnt feel like pulling everything out the case watercooling, cables etc so i decided to this the lazy way :cool:

I simply tilted the capacitors back and forth until their pins broke and then i solderd short cables (about 3cm long) to the solder pad where the capacitor had been sitting and solderd the new capacitor to the cable's. Doing it this way enabled me to do this "repair" without pulling evrything out of the case. To prevent the new capacitors from "hanging loose" in my case i used some melt glue to attach them to board. It sure may look abit ghetto and it sure is abit ghetto but IT WORKS! :attn:

Pictures here:
http://www.canit.se/~unlogic/kondingar/page_01.htm

Ps. As you can see i took the chance to replace the capacitors with bigger one's i figured it couldn't hurt :D

yup ghetto alright, but i can't say bigger caps are neccessarily the best idea as some circuits rely on a specific size cap for timing...

subtotal said:
yup ghetto alright, but i can't say bigger caps are neccessarily the best idea as some circuits rely on a specific size cap for timing...

Very true, I found these in a old PSU i had laying around and decided to use them cause i dont have any electronic store here in town so i would have to order caps from stockholm and the delivery would cost more than the caps themselves :rolleyes:

While this works in some case it by far is not the best way to replace caps. Most all motherboards should be using low ESR Caps this means they have low internal resistance and can dump alot of current when needed to maintain voltage. When you add a little bit of wire 3cm long you are adding resistance and this can be a problem in some areas depending on loading and speed of load changes in the system. While am not saying you are going to have peoblems you very well may not. All I am saying is if you can take the time and do it the right way your better off.

You might already know this, but I wanted to point it out to anyone else out there that might not know.

robertm said:
While this works in some case it by far is not the best way to replace caps. Most all motherboards should be using low ESR Caps this means they have low internal resistance and can dump alot of current when needed to maintain voltage. When you add a little bit of wire 3cm long you are adding resistance and this can be a problem in some areas depending on loading and speed of load changes in the system. While am not saying you are going to have peoblems you very well may not. All I am saying is if you can take the time and do it the right way your better off.

You might already know this, but I wanted to point it out to anyone else out there that might not know.

I'm very aware if these issues, this mod is more about keeping the motherbaord alive a few more weeks than a long-term solution.

See this thread for more info:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?p=3177930#post3177930

Back