• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CAS Latency only concern with different speed RAM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chuggowitz

Hey all,

I'm planning on ordering 2 more sticks of 8GB DDR4 for my rig. Now naturally, yesterday the exact RAM I already have was available for order, but today everywhere I look it appears to be discontinued and out of stock, because of course it is (unless I go on eBay and pay like 80$ extra, which I mean... if I have to). As this is the case, I wanted to confirm that if I order a faster version of the same RAM I shouldn't have any issues so long as the CAS latency is identical on them?

I currently have this set of Trident Z RGB Ram.

Capacity 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Type 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM
Speed DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200)
CAS Latency 15
Timing 15-15-15-35
Voltage 1.2V
ECC No

I'm presuming if I order this set I should be OK.
Capacity 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Type 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM
Speed DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000)
CAS Latency 15
Timing 15-16-16-35
Voltage 1.35V
ECCNo

I'm guessing my mainboard should simply downclock to whatever the lowest speed is to match and if I want to overclock it all to the same speed I should have no issues with some voltage and timing adjustments on the slower RAM modules? I'd really like to avoid damaging either the RAM or my mainboard.

(Also, no I don't terribly need the extra RAM, but I would like to complete the look in my desktop [bling bling?] and I have a new GPU on the way)

It could very well work but I would not count on it. The 3000 mhz RAM would be certainly capable of down-clocking to 2400 mhz but how close to the slower pair's timings it would be is anyone's guess. It might not work in dual channel and if you are overclocking the CPU it might not be stable. Personally, I would put out the extra $80 for the peace of mind having identical kits would give.

Both kits seem to use the same or similar IC. The F4-3000C15D-16GTZR has SPD of 2133 15-15-15 1.20V and I would be surprised if it couldn't work at 2400 15-15-15. More, I guess you can run both kits at 3000 15-16-16 or 16-16-16 1.35V, what will be faster than the 2400.

Thanks for the info, guys. I had kind of anticipated a lot of this. I also found it odd that this particular model would just up and vanish across all the major Canadian retailers all at once. After a lot more digging I did however manage to find it at a smaller American retailer that will surprisingly ship to Canada for free. Even if I have to pay customs and duties I'll be better off. 105$ USD vs 150$ USD used seems like a no brainer.

Again, really appreciate the feedback and information.

Back