• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CAS Latency setting in my bios is different than what the manufacturer says

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MorePower!

In my DRAM configuration in my bios the cas latency is listed as 11, however on newegg my ram's cas latency is 9. Should I change this in the DRAM config?

do you mean any place where there is an "11" in that section, I should replace with a 9 even if it doesn't say CAS latency next to it? (I recall there were probably 5 lines that had an 11 next to them but they looked like they were something different than the cas latency)

EDIT: I went into the bios to have a 2nd look at the DRAM config. The line "RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD)" says 11, should that be changed to 9? "Row Precharge Time (tRP)" is 11 should that be changed to 9 too?

Last edited:
How do you expect us to give you timing suggestions when we don't even know what model RAM you have? The "8GB G Skill Ripjaws" in your sig. means nothing.

I think what he means to say is....it would be best for you to post the Newegg timings, then post your current timings your BIOS is reporting and of course the name of the memory you are using.

Did you know your ram is slightly overclocked. Anyhow you can try and see if they will run at the XMP-1600 settings. So change the timings to the ones in that profile.

No I had no idea they were overclocked. I'll try changing the timings. Should the Mhz be up at 1600 and not 800? The ram is rated 1600 is why I ask.

Here are the new read outs from CPUz after I changed the timings. I did leave the DRAM frequency at 1600 and the Load XMP setting at auto. Oh and I forgot, I turned the 1N to a 2N. I read about that in a guide yesterday. They said 1N command rate can make overclocks unstable and I do want to overclock my cpu.

how do these look?

Memory tab:

Newmemorytabcpuz.png

Slot 2:

NewSlot2tabcpuz.png

Slot 4:

NewSlot4tabcpuz.png

Last edited:
No I had no idea they were overclocked. I'll try changing the timings. Should the Mhz be up at 1600 and not 800? The ram is rated 1600 is why I ask.
If you look at the 1st SS from post #8 the Ram was running at 819.2 which is roughly 1640mhz. Did you have the BLCK adjusted up?

No the base clock was at 100. I haven't touched it. Does the 2nd set of screen shots look okay overall? (I ask because the 2nd two screen shots show the middle columns with 11s in them and higher numbers).

Yes the timings look fine now, you may want to change the tras to 25 if you encounter any instability.I have the same set of sticks and I have them set to the XMP Profile also.

Back