• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Case & CPU Temps Jumped 4C with new PSU??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Capt Fiero

I had an Antec SS 400w PSU and just moved up to an Antec 550 True Control PSU. I set my voltages to dead on for what the rails are supose to be but all my temps have climbed up average 4C across the board.

Does anyone have any idea why. My fans are all running about the same speed. I even sleeved my PSU when I installed it so I should be running a bit cooler. This is driving me nuts. I thought better PSU more stable system and more stable fans everything should be cooler.

What Gives.

Anyone got any input on the matter.

they put off a lot of heat. turn down some exhaust fans or fan so you have a positive pressure and the weaker psu fans are able to pull the air thru it better.

both of these sounds good. I have a antec as well with adapters that say fan only. they run at much lower voltages. The fans look as if they were blowing the same though but the noise and airflow drop alot.

Either that or rhino56 could be right to. The psu fans may ton be able to compete with the more powerful aftermarket case fans. Put your hand in the back of the psu. How much air is coming out and how hot is it like he siad lower exsaust fans and see what happens.

Do only one or the other of these not both! :D

Ok Fan Layout.

The CPU, Add On Video Card and PSU Fan moniter are all plugged into the MB Headers.

There are 2 80mm intake fans on the front, 1 80mm side intake.
There are 2 80mm exhaust fans plus the 2 fans in the PSU.

This is the power supply with the Front Panel Add On with a fan controller and I am using the "Fan Only" jacks on the PSU to run my case fans. I run them at about 1/2 on the machine. If I crank them up to full I can get it back to my old temps, but I never had to run them at full before.

Oh the temps were and are,

Old Good Temps, MB 28 CPU 27
New Bad Temps, MB 33 CPU 32

This is with the machine IDLE doing nothing but web browsing.

Put them back then..Use a dedicated line from the PSU to power your fans and lights..Then see if your temps go back to normal..I've been thru this before with this unit..If you like quiet and warm leave as is..:)

You are not getting full voltage to the controller that came with the PSU..Try wiring your fans back like you had them before..If that doesn't help, I'm out of ideas.:)

Well it looks like I am going to have to go out and buy a new Fan controller then.

I already promised my Antec 400 and my Vantec Fan controller to my girlfriend for her machine.

Well I cant explain it. But over the past week I have noticed my temps are returning to normal. I have not changed anything. Fans clock speed, nothing. Maybe the heat sink compound settled in or the new CPU fan broke in and loosend up. But this is just an update to say that my CPU and MB are now running at 27-28C which is back to close to ambient temps.

Thats good to hear. I'm havin problems with high case temps over ambient myself and i'm wondering if its my PSU...

One question though, how do you manage to get your CPU Temps lower than your Case Temps?

Old Good Temps, MB 28 CPU 27
New Bad Temps, MB 33 CPU 32

I am not sure why my case temps are slightly higher than my CPU, I am using a good CPU cooler. I think it is due to the location of the MB temp sensor. I know my ambient temps inside my room are lower than both of the readings by a few degrees.

Back