• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Case fans for filtered use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

diaz

I already have a thread for my CPU cooler, but now I am looking for case fans that will pull air through a filter.

Here is how I will filter:

And I will place two 120mm fans pushing air towards the CPU from this location like this:
corsair_600t_7.jpg

Or like this:
29c61441_600t5.jpeg

I have done some homework and arrived to these selections:

- Thermalright TR-FDB-12-1600 (Rebranded S-Flex) @ $9.50

- Panaflo FBA12G12L 1700 @ $17.17 (available in 1700 "L", 2100 "M", 2500 "H" and 2700 "U" models)

- Cooler Master Blade Master @ $8.05

- Scythe Ultra Kaze 3000 @ $6.71

I prefer the panaflos, but I am reluctant to spend that much money on them. I need two fans. Main priority; decent airflow through filter. Doesn't have to be crazy airflow, just decent enough to keep my CPU and rest of the case happy in this positive pressure setup.

I will use that website to buy my fans, since I have used it before and the prices are awesome.

Thanks! :thup:

Doesn't look like you can fit 38mm fans on there, double check the width measurements. How are you planning to control the speeds because 1600rpm directly next to a fine filter is far from silent... fan controller or motherboard?

For 38mm I would have to mount the fans like in the second picture, right next to the CPU. There is a fan controller on the 600T as well :D

Ideally you want the 120mm version of these: http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=14110AC0223&vpn=D0925C12B2AP-13&manufacture=SCYTHE They provide good static pressure for a 25mm thick fan.

Otherwise I'd recommend going with the 38mm if you can. They'll provide much better static pressure against the filter. Panaflos are really high quality - I've had some running in my rig for as long as I've had it, I think, which is about 8 years. They'll last you a long long time.

Yeah, thanks for the input.. Panaflos do look really nice! I wish I could find GT's in Canada..

The GTs are more expensive anyway, I think.

My opinion is this: the only reason not to get a 38mm fan for just about any application is size and noise. If the fan won't fit it won't fit. 38mm fans tend to have slightly louder bearing noise, which bothers some people. Otherwise, they have much higher pressure and should be better in most regards.

You could also argue that the extra cost of a 38mm fan doesn't make it useful as, say, a case fan, and that's fair because that application doesn't demand a lot of pressure. But if you're pushing against a restrictive filter or a radiator the 38mm is going to perform better hands down.

The GTs are more expensive anyway, I think.

My opinion is this: the only reason not to get a 38mm fan for just about any application is size and noise. If the fan won't fit it won't fit. 38mm fans tend to have slightly louder bearing noise, which bothers some people. Otherwise, they have much higher pressure and should be better in most regards.

You could also argue that the extra cost of a 38mm fan doesn't make it useful as, say, a case fan, and that's fair because that application doesn't demand a lot of pressure. But if you're pushing against a restrictive filter or a radiator the 38mm is going to perform better hands down.

THanks for your input... I have been looking at so many fans lately its ridiculous... OCD me.. :D

Ok, so I checked and the 38mm fans are too thick to fit with my setup.

I will go with a pair of Vantec Stealths 1500RPM double ball bearing for the top fans. I have one here and it sounds quiet, and moves enough air for my tastes. They are going to be horizontal mounted so I can't get sleeve for that spot.

As for the CPU cooler, I couldn't find the PWM fans suggested in the other thread, and I want red LED's, so I will get some Cooler Master red Sickleflows in push pull.

As for the front, I am looking at the Cooler Master 200mm Megaflow. Any word on these? Not sure about them.. I want the LED's to be RED, not pink-ish..

Last edited:
I'm just joking anyway. So are you planning on having any exhaust fans or are you just leaving that for GPU and PSU?

I'm just joking anyway. So are you planning on having any exhaust fans or are you just leaving that for GPU and PSU?

Yeah no exhaust fans.. Only positive pressure from the case fans. Nothing extreme, just want the air in the case to change decently enough while filtered.

Top filter looks like a good idea. I idiotically removed the one from my CM690II then realised I wanted intake there. Then after a lot of fiddling I put the filters behind the fans (?) and then the fans on top of the case under the top grating.

Now the fans catch on the grill and since installing a new motherboard I can't remove them because the screws are on the bottom side going upwards! Nightmare

For case fans, I always use Yate Loons. They're silent enough and move enough air for my watercooled rig. But that's for a watercooled rig. Maybe you need something stronger?

If you just need to move air, go for the Yates.
If you need some real stuff with 25mm, go for the GTs.
If you don't care about your eardrums, grab any 38mm beast.

Ok, enough guys have talked about the gentle typhoons. I will scour the internet for them now, wish me luck :D

If I can handle my Antec Tricools at 1600RPM, you think I can handle the Typhoons at ~2000rpm?

The GTs HighSpeed are better than the Kazes IMHO.

And, for me, at 1800rpm they are noisy. But that's because they're the only thing running at more than 1000rpm on my computer, so... hehe.

Back