• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Case painting (how to guide).

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I posted a reply to another person's painting problems, and Stool asked me if I would post the same info here. It might be a little bit dated, and some of you may know it already, but here it goes:

If you get really bad (and I mean REALLY bad) fisheye or dust or runs/bags/sags in your paint, it really would be best to take the pans right back to the primer (if you did prime it) w/ some Laquor thinner/Enamel Reducer/Gunwash and try painting it again. The reason you get things like fisheye/dust is from improper handling of the pans between stages of painting.

Fisheye is caused by touching the case w/ your bare fingers (leaving oily finger prints that look like fisheyes, get it?) Or oily rags. Dust can be caused by environment, or a charge on the case attracting dust from the air. You can ground your pans/case by painting it on the floor, or by hanging something like a chain from the part you're painting to the floor.

Some of the reasons runs/bags/sags are caused could be because you're holding your gun (or spray bomb) too close to your case, moving it too slowly (thus putting too much paint on), or using a reducer (if you're using automotive paint, which I did) that is not suited to the environment you're painting in. Like if you're using slow reducer in a cold environment, the paint will run. You might want to try a medium or even fast reducer to stop runs. If you're bombing, you'll want to follow the instructions on the side of the can as closely as you can. Example: paint in the exact (or as close as you can) conditions on the side of the can to reduce the likelihood of runs.

If you get a few runs/fisheyes/dust that isn't so bad as to warrant a complete repaint, the best thing you can do is sand down the panel (the whole panel) w/ some 1000 or 1500 (although 1500 might be too fine. 1000 should do unless you feel adventurous) grit wet/dry sandpaper and some warm, soapy water (and I've even heard of Windex being used, but I'm not brave enough to try that) and then buff a shine into it w/ a buffer and some polishing compound. Sand in broad, even strokes, making sure to keep the panel and paper wet and clean (wipe it down every now and then w/ a wet rag in the same water). Don't sand too much, or you'll come down to the primer and have to do it all over again anyways! Just sand enough so the fisheye/runs/dust is gone. Rinse it down w/ some clean water, wipe it down w/ a clean, lint-free rag and let it dry, then apply some polishing compound to your buffing pad (and more to the panel if needed) and buff for 20 minutes, or until the shine comes back through.

I had to do this w/ my case. If you wanna see, just click the link in my sig (the very last line) to see what it might look like afterwards. I hope this helps somebody.

Really detailed thread, very well written, about painting can be found HERE . Best of the thread is first post, avoid the 2nd page.

Last edited:
Indigo_ts said:
I started painting my case in the basement and after a few coats of black the concrete floor had this kind of permanent shadow on it.

Yeah thats the over spray dust. I did my case on the kitchen floor (white vinyl flooring). Now that I think of it it wasn't the smartest idea, but there is a huge patio door so I could get ventilation. Its way too cold here in Canada to go outside to do it. The floor looked really bad when I was done and oh boy did the wife go ballistsic.

Good news is its not permanent. It takes a little elbow grease and maybe some denatured alcohol to remove it all. In fact, when I was was done the kitchen floor never looked so clean.

Yeah I'm in Canada too and I've had to wait untill the last few days to finish up mine, its turning out great. Its black with two blue stripes. I'll have pics soon but I'm still waiting on the pump for my watercooling.

Good tip from criagiz1.

If dust is a big problem when you are painting in a particular area, buy a cheapo plastic drop cloth, and rig yourself a frame to cover your work without touching it.

oh goodness i cant belive that is black paint i would have thought that it would be silver or something i kinda rushed through my paint job i may or may not redomine i just had to say that is an amazing job and it suprised the hell out of me

Here's my two cents on painting. I figured I would write this because I used that same guide, and some other techniques, and I must say I have a pretty damn sweet finish!!!!

TIPS:

1) Warm your can for 5 minutes in warm water before you paint, it creates a finer spray
2) You need to be EXTREMELY careful of dust so read all the ideas in here and use one, because dust can be your downfall
3) Patience is the key, let every coat dry at least 24 hours if you want to be perfect
4) Make sure you use the right paint for the job, different paints are for different things and some dont' work well with rubbing compound. (I found that out the hard way)
5) Be careful when handling parts after they have been drying for a little bit, because you can mess it up in a second
6) When sanding, do not sand too hard, or else you will leave very deep, very noticeable scratches, and that's not something you want!

I hope these help, just use common sense, and yes it will take a long, long time to get a good finish, i'm about 1 month in the making and still not done the full case. Sanding takes a LONG LONG LONG time.

Peace

I am adding pinstripes to my case. But should I put them over or under the clear coat?

I am adding pinstripes and painting some game logos on the side of my case. But should I put the pinstripes over or under the clear coat? What is the best way to add the logos top the case?

If you are painting the logos on, I'd recommend doing it before you clear coat. Pinstripes usually go over the clear.

DKC, why exactly is it taking more than a month to paint your case? You going through a ****load of coats? How long does sanding take usually? I'm considering painting my case, but I'm wondering if I have the commitment to do so.

Welcome to the forums.

The reason it can be time-consuming is letting the various coats of paint dry quite a bit, trying to get a mirror finish. If you don't have the time or patience, you could go with enamel, or shorten the amount of time between steps.

I don't want to start a new thread but I painted my mouse and I painted it all orange and than applied tape and painted it black. Since it is two coats on one coat is kind of feels rough where the orange is. Any tips?

Paint the pinstripes along side the color coat, then clear coat it all. Rustoleum works good with plastic bezels. first, soap and water, then lightly sand, apply degreaser, then paint. Wait about a week for it to dry.

Great thread we have going here! As many have said before, patience, patience, patience.. My girlfriends birthday is in 4 weeks and I have decided to paint a new case for her.. I have given myself 4 weeks to paint it completely.. I figure 30 mins to and hour a night of work.. <--- That's the kinda time you need to do a good job on it..

I feel for you guys in Canada ;) brrr!

Back