• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

celeron won't cold boot @1.05 volts but will on reboot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ensabah6

Registered
hi,
my celeron won't cold boot @1.05 volts but will on reboot, if i load at 1.1 volts it will boot normally, then if i reset and readjust the volts it will boot at 1.05 volts, but when i turn off the computer it won't turn on again. @1.05 volts my tualatin will put out 12-13watts, down from 14 watts.

any solutions on allowing my pc to cold boot at 1.05 volts? why does it allow it on reboot?

1.05 or even 1.1Volts is way too low! Even if your system feels snappy and stable the CPU is probably producing errors. Why are you trying to go so low anyways?

I don't get it - how would not cold booting at 1.05 volts be considered a 'problem?'

From a cold boot, the CPU may not be getting enough juice before bootstrap to even start initializing... the same thing happens if you put CPU speed too high with not enough voltage... you'll hear tens of users talking about "cold boot" problems with some motherboards when they turn CPU speeds way up, and the motherboard for one reason or another isn't able to correctly regulate the CPU power at the first cycles of a cold boot. Giving it a warm boot at least provides a power supply and motherboard that are already powered on and functioning fully... this isn't the case while turning it on from a standstill.

Lancelot is right... the CPU is given its voltage ratings for a reason... snipping almost 40% of the rated voltage away from the CPU is bound to generate errors on one level or another. It may run, but I would never count on it for 100% reliability at those levels. Maybe 1.3 or so at the lowest.

well it may not be obvious, but i am "bi"
LOL

i go to both silentpcreview and overclockers.

i'm actually a silent pc enthusiast. i love silent pc's. but i love performance too!
hence "bi"

i undervolted my TISU is a great undervolter, and it seems to work just fine. and at 14 watts, i removed the cpu fan. it's quiet.

i just want more :)

It doesn't seem like cooling it down would let you run better at lower voltages... any copper cooler could passively cool this thing with relative ease, it seems... I don't think water would drop his temps much at all. If it did, it wouldn't be worth the investment. And a water pump would definitely be louder than a passive heat sink.

I guess the key to keeping it stable at low voltages would be to ensure the voltage and current is clean and interrupted. Beyond that, the limitation is probably more architectural than thermal.

Back