• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Changed Noctua D-14

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CAPiTAL

Registered
As I think many people do, I don't like the colour of Noctua fans and I didn't want to buy new ones and just wanted to do it myself :) If I messed up I would've just gotten new ones but yay to saving money!

Here's some pictures:

IMG_0324.jpg

IMG_0373.jpg

IMG_0375.jpg

IMG_0376.jpg

IMG_0380.jpg

just to let ALL know that paint they're fans, It can cause off weight, From a spot being thicker than the rest, ANd over time cause the fans to wear out faster :( Just make sure that you get a EVEN coat over the blades! the rest of the fan really doesnt matter. I know its a easy thing to do.. This is just a heads up :)

just to let ALL know that paint they're fans, It can cause off weight, From a spot being thicker than the rest, ANd over time cause the fans to wear out faster :( Just make sure that you get a EVEN coat over the blades! the rest of the fan really doesnt matter. I know its a easy thing to do.. This is just a heads up :)

yeah i took that into consideration i didnt know it would wear out the fans more tho! i might actually just buy new ones i didnt like how the fans turned out...kinda tacky looking. can anyone point me to sum good fans i could mount to my D-14 ? (ill take the mounting piece on the old fans and put them on the new ones)

Scythe is only the distributor. Fan's are Nidec's. And Nidec surely knows how to make fans, they make incredible fans. Hence, our love for Scythe's / Nidec Gentle Typhoons.

Capital, Why didnt you just paint the outside of the fans? ANd the left the blades stock?

EDIT::: Never use glass paint on fans.. Flat looks alot better on them

yeah i took that into consideration i didnt know it would wear out the fans more tho! i might actually just buy new ones i didnt like how the fans turned out...kinda tacky looking. can anyone point me to sum good fans i could mount to my D-14 ? (ill take the mounting piece on the old fans and put them on the new ones)

For a replacement for the 140mm Noctua fan, you could go with the Thermalright TY-140, which should be a direct drop-in replacement. It is also a PWM fan, so you can use a PWM header to control fan speed on it too if you want. For the 120 mm sized replacement, the GT AP-14 or AP-15 would be good choices (not PWM fans though). The Thermalright TR-FBD-1300 or TR-FBD-1600 fans would also be very good choices for the 120mm fan replacement.

For a replacement for the 140mm Noctua fan, you could go with the Thermalright TY-140, which should be a direct drop-in replacement. It is also a PWM fan, so you can use a PWM header to control fan speed on it too if you want. For the 120 mm sized replacement, the GT AP-14 or AP-15 would be good choices (not PWM fans though). The Thermalright TR-FBD-1300 or TR-FBD-1600 fans would also be very good choices for the 120mm fan replacement.

This seems very stupid but the reason I didn't like my noctua fans was cuz of the brown colour. Altho I do want great performance the first fan you listed...im not into the colour of it. I was just looking for a Black fan now :/ or if anyone else has some cool colour ideas for it :O

Are scyth fans THE fan to get?

Last edited:
The TY-140 isn't that awful brown/beige color of the Noctua; it's more a light grey or off white.

If you want a black frame, this Aerocool Shark looks interesting. No experience with their fans though. For another honest and inexpensive choice, you can also looks at the Yate Loon D14SM-12 too. Be aware that most any 140 mm sized fan besides the Noctua and Thermalright won't be able to use the Noctua mounting fan clips, since those 2 fans actually have the mounting holes spaced the same as a regualr 120 mm fan. Also, you can go with a 120 x 25 mm center fan of the same make and model as the other fan (or 2, if you want to go push/pull/pull with 3 fans).

The TY-140 isn't that awful brown/beige color of the Noctua; it's more a light grey or off white.

If you want a black frame, this Aerocool Shark looks interesting. No experience with their fans though. For another honest and inexpensive choice, you can also looks at the Yate Loon D14SM-12 too. Be aware that most any 140 mm sized fan besides the Noctua and Thermalright won't be able to use the Noctua mounting fan clips, since those 2 fans actually have the mounting holes spaced the same as a regualr 120 mm fan. Also, you can go with a 120 x 25 mm center fan of the same make and model as the other fan (or 2, if you want to go push/pull/pull with 3 fans).

I REALLY appreciate your help on this and feel rude saying no your help is wrong. But I was looking for a fan that was 90 + CFM and 19 dba or better than those like the ones I posted above

http://www.xigmatek.com/product.php?productid=137&type=specification

http://www.xigmatek.com/product.php?productid=109&type=specification

Those specs are total BS. You can't beat the laws of physics.;) You aren't going to get that kind of airflow out of a 140 mm sized fan with that low a noise footprint.

But with that said, they probably aren't bad fans. They look much the same design as the ones that come with the NZXT Havik 140, who I am pretty sure sources their heatsinks from Xigmatech.

EDIT: And with that, I am now out of your thread.

Back