• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cheap 2.2+ghz cpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mooseboy84

Registered
i need a faster cpu. currently i have an old xp1600 palmino @1.76ghz.

i want to get a new cpu, but want a cheap one that can do at least 2.2ghz. i could get a 1.6ghz duron and OC it to 2+ghz, however it has very little cache which would be slow for games and stuff.

i could get a 1700 or 1800 Jhuib or whatever theyre called so i could try to get it over 2.2, theyre around the same price as duron. or, i could try to be a 2500 or 2600xp. only problem is theyre more expensive, and there is no insurance anymore of getting good OCs with the 2500s. im not sure about the 2600, how do they OC?

what should i get? my old *** 1600 just aint fast enough anymore. i see the 2600s are cheaper than 2500s, but have less cache. thats 2.1ghz, which is a nice little increase by defualt, what do you guys expect ill be able to get out of that?

btw, i wont be unlocking the cpus, just ocing using fsb, [unless a chip comes unlocked]

Last edited:
the 2500 should land you a good oc even being if its locked with some good cooling and with the 2500 you will have the 512 L2 so that will be a boost over your curent CPU

i take to long to read and to post lol thats not a bad oc on that 2600 so either chip will result with a good oc

forgot about memory. im still on ol' pc2100, although 512mb is ddr333. maybe ill pick up 512more. [probably wont though, lol] you can still OC fsb without fast memory. yea it will run asynchronously, but it wont be that much slower, just mainly on benches.

i guess ill be getting a 2500. i have decent cooling and a decent mobo. zalman 7000cu cooler and a shuttle an35 ultra mobo. im keeping both of these. ill toss my old palmino in my old board if i ever get it RMAed and a new one.

me too, mine is locked, but check out my overclocking in my sig, the first stat is on air with my Zalman and Thermaltake 2000v case thats it, the second is my maxemum, with kickass cooling. (would have gone higher, but bios would not let me 250 was max and only that bios would let me overclock with the voltage I felt like putting into it, however all bioses have no prob at 223, prime95 and all on air)

I picked last month on ebay a 1700 jhuib and I was able to reach 2.2 on my abit board for $34 bucks shipping included.
Is it not a dlt3c but for $34 is a nice backup to have just in case.

why not grab a applebred duron 1.6 ($35-40) or 1.8($40-50) off ebay for around. you can ask for the stepping codes. i got a 1.8 duron just waiting for the rest of the pieces.

Back