• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheap alternative delid tool for Intel CPUs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Reefa_Madness

DRAM Guru Senior
First off, let me say that the very popular Rockit 88 Delid Tool has proven to be a very capable tool for the job of delidding processors, as well as reattaching the IHS afterwards. Not to mention a little less nerve wracking than using a vise, or a razor blade.

https://rockitcool.myshopify.com/

But going back to the vise. It does work and how it works is really the basis for all of the delid tools out there, which is to hold the processor in place while enough force is exerted onto the IHS to break the bond and push the IHS off.

So, while surfing the web I ran across this video:

and available here for pretty cheap, from less than $8 shipped by some of the Sellers...so I bit. I picked one up (well actually two of them) for the 115x series such as the 4970K, etc. You may note that there is also one for the "7740x / 7800x...etc".

https://www.aliexpress.com/premium/...ative_id=SB_20180109055047&isViewCP=y&catId=0

Purchased May 2nd and arrived May 14th, which I consider for free international shipping to be relatively quick.

I have not used it yet as I first need to find the right guinea pig for this project but I wanted to share my initial thoughts, as well as the links, etc.

First off, it is metal, although I don't know which exactly. It is light and looks just like the one in the video. Reasonable well-made as far as precision. By that I mean that while there is some "slop" in the part that presses against the IHS to push it off, however, since it slides within a short track (which limits how far you can tighten, it shouldn't go flying off anywhere. The bolt is a little bit on the thin side in my opinion...which is why I bought a second one. I was going to play around with it and perhaps find a slightly stouter bolt and either tap new threads, or most likely, drill out the hole and use a nut on the outside since that would be much easier and other than having to hold the nut with a wrench, work exactly the same. Also have a couple of other little things that I was considering doing to it, but we'll see.

Anyhow, like I said, for now the point of the thread is simply to share the links and my initial observations.

What do you think?

Also, for those that always wanted one of those MSI die protectors but couldn't find one, these are also available. I didn't spring for one of these so I can't add anything other than they are available.

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesal...101022&isPremium=y&SearchText=CPU+delid+guard

One more comment...It would appear that if you found a metal plate to straddle the bottom, you could use a small C-clamp and press the IHS to the CPU for re-attaching. I haven't really looked into that, but I'm sure you could come up with a workable system with very little effort. That feature is certainly a plus for the Rockit.

This looks exactly like the one I bought of ebay a couple years ago for $25 when Rocket Tools were constantly sold out. Works great! I have used it for several delids.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I bought two of them for $7.50 each w/free shipping, so they have REALLY dropped in price once supply caught up with demand.

How has the threaded hole in the backside held up? First thing I did, after threading the bolt thru was to back it out and put some lubricant in there. To me that appears to be the "weak link" as I think it could easily strip the threads. That's why I made the post above about drilling it out and replacing the original with a slightly thicker bolt and a nut on the outside of the frame (both out of stainless). What I haven't determined yet is how much clearance there will be for a thicker bolt once there is a CPU inside the frame. It could be that is what determined the size of the included bolt.

Good to know that you've used yours multiple times and it still works. That does ease some of my concerns.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your experience. I bought two of them for $7.50 each w/free shipping, so they have REALLY dropped in price once supply caught up with demand.

How has the threaded hole in the backside held up? First thing I did, after threading the bolt thru was to back it out and put some lubricant in there. To me that appears to be the "weak link" as I think it could easily strip the threads. That's why I made the post above about drilling it out and replacing the original with a slightly thicker bolt and a nut on the outside of the frame (both out of stainless). What I haven't determined yet is how much clearance there will be for a thicker bolt once there is a CPU inside the frame. It could be that is what determined the size of the included bolt.

Good to know that you've used yours multiple times and it still works. That does ease some of my concerns.

I have not noticed any problems in that regard. But let me check the item again that you link and compare it with mine, which I just retrieved from my box of CPU and memory paraphernalia. It may not be identical.

Boy, it sure looks the same. Checked the threads on the bolt and they show no wear. I think the saving grace here is that the cross piece the bolt threads in is about 3/8" thick and solid, not hollow. So there is plenty of gripping surface for the threads of the bolt in that hole even though the bolt is small.

I appreciate your taking the time to check that out. That crossbar is fairly wide so like you said, it does provide a decent amount of threads. And in the end, if it strips, you can fix it by using a nut on the outside of the crossbar.

For $7.50/unit the price was certainly right.

I appreciate your taking the time to check that out. That crossbar is fairly wide so like you said, it does provide a decent amount of threads. And in the end, if it strips, you can fix it by using a nut on the outside of the crossbar.

For $7.50/unit the price was certainly right.

Or for that price, just get another one.

cheapest option is still a razor blade and guts.

I'd probably end up spending more than the $7.50 just on the Bandaids I would need afterwards. My hands aren't as steady as they once used to be. :D

I'd probably end up spending more than the $7.50 just on the Bandaids I would need afterwards. My hands aren't as steady as they once used to be. :D

Lol I hear ya that why when I bugger pins on LGA I sell it off cheap and get a new one. Just can’t straighten em out anymore. But I can still delid with a blade did my 6700K that way but bought the roccit 88 for my 7700K was just to easy.

Considering how fast some packages arrive from Aliexpress, I would probably sell the CPU before I had a chance to delid it :)
I got a delidding tool for 7700K because razor way wasn't so easy anymore on thin PCB processors and didn't want to risk more expensive chips (I literally bent PCB on i3 and can't really explain how). After that my friends delidded more processors with my tool than I did. Maybe I will use it for 8600K but I guess I will sell it faster.

Considering how fast some packages arrive from Aliexpress, I would probably sell the CPU before I had a chance to delid it :)
I got a delidding tool for 7700K because razor way wasn't so easy anymore on thin PCB processors and didn't want to risk more expensive chips (I literally bent PCB on i3 and can't really explain how). After that my friends delidded more processors with my tool than I did. Maybe I will use it for 8600K but I guess I will sell it faster.

Mine arrived in less than two weeks. That's probably the fastest I've ever gotten anything with free shipping from that region of the world.

Thanks for that link. :)

I added that link as an after thought so I'm glad you found it useful.

Mine arrived in less than two weeks. That's probably the fastest I've ever gotten anything with free shipping from that region of the world.

I see that friends wait for 6-8 weeks on some items. In EU it has to pass additional spots+customs like in most cases they wait on more orders, pack them together and ship them to the France/Netherlands. From there usually have to pass 3-4 spots more. It takes some more time because customs make additional check as most from aliexpress is shipped as a gift or in other way to avoid additional costs, taxes etc.
Still good to know there are cheaper options as some tools like all branded der8auer is way too overpriced. I won't pay nearly $100 with shipping for a delidding tool for 2066 chip. Still thinking about it as for 7900X it has some point but I don't know what I will do with this CPU so at least till I have more free time I won't decide.

Back