• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheap mobo for a new build; H61M-DS2 or H61M-S2PV?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mario1

Grammer, its my favoriate thing
Hi there! I'm planning on building a new PC (will probably take me half a year, having in mind how broke I am, but I have to start somewhere) and I wonder which motherboard should I buy.
There's an 8-dollar difference between these two and it has me thinking; what's the difference between these two?
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4073
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4065
They're both based on the H61 chipset and I don't really see any differences feature-wise.
Should I go with the cheaper one or is it worth spending $8 extra for the more expensive model?

Buying parts over a 6 month period is a bad idea. All your store warranties run put and half of what you bought is outdated in that much time. We usually recommend that everything is bought within a three week period tops.

Buying parts over a 6 month period is a bad idea. All your store warranties run put and half of what you bought is outdated in that much time. We usually recommend that everything is bought within a three week period tops.
Don't need top of the line stuff. An i3 and 6 gigs of ram would do me justice.

Yes, but again, due to warranties and price drops over time, etc, buying parts over a long period of time is still a bad idea?

6GB of RAM in a dual channel board?

Yes, but again, due to warranties and price drops over time, etc, buying parts over a long period of time is still a bad idea?

6GB of RAM in a dual channel board?
1x4, 1x2 - Why not?
As far as warranties, price drops & etc go; I don't really care if the prices eventually drop, they're pretty low right now, as is.
By the way - I also found some cheap ASRocks with the same chipset, wondering if I should go for one of 'em.

That's still single channel, you need the same amount of RAM in each channel.

In the end it's up to you. I'm just saying it's a better idea to save your money and buy it all in one go. If you have to buy per part, I'd get the things that don't ever change (case, hard drive, PSU, RAM) first. SSD next, then CPU/motherboard, and GPU last.

I already have a case and a PSU. The case came free, planning on modding it (repaint, a window, etc". The PSU is a cheap Chinese one that came off my '06 build (mobo died a long time ago).
Seems to work fairly well, says it's 400w, I'm guessing it's more within the range of 300-350. As for RAM, I'm guessing I'll get a mobo+RAM combo, it's pretty cheap anyways. An SSD is a no-go, I'll have to cough up more money for the SSD itself and a SATA III motherboard, which is not within my $250-300 budget. Won't need a graphics card either, planning on using the integrated one. I hope it could handle LoL on the lowest settings possible at 30fps, which is way more than I'll ever need. That's the only game I play and I currently run it at 20fps on my laptop - playable enough (for me).
The sample build would be something like that;
Cheap H61 mobo
i3 ????
8GB of RAM (Taking your advice on dual channels.. had no idea I had to use sticks of same size. Previous PC ran 2x4+1x2 in dual-channel mode just fine, guessing that's not the case here.)
500GB SATA II HDD
400W Chinese PSU
??? case, which I'll mod (says Super Power on it)

I would throw away that PSU, never ever use no name brand PSUs. They often exaggerate to outright lie on the label, miss important safety features, and possibly damage components in the long term.

The configuration you listed wouldn't be dual channel, 2x4GB and 2x2GB could be run as dual channel.

x6x boards only natively support Sandy Bridge chips, you'd want a B75 board IMO, you want the better iGPU of a Ivy Bridge chip.

I would throw away that PSU, never ever use no name brand PSUs. They often exaggerate to outright lie on the label, miss important safety features, and possibly damage components in the long term.

The configuration you listed wouldn't be dual channel, 2x4GB and 2x2GB could be run as dual channel.

x6x boards only natively support Sandy Bridge chips, you'd want a B75 board IMO, you want the better iGPU of a Ivy Bridge chip.
Aren't BXX boards business-oriented? I'm planning on doing mild OC in the future - is it possible with a B75 board?
If yes - can you recommend a cheap-ish one?

You can't OC, unless you get a K SKU CPU and a Z series board.

I'd just get the cheapest, doesn't really matter since you can't overclock.

You can't OC, unless you get a K SKU CPU and a Z series board.

I'd just get the cheapest, doesn't really matter since you can't overclock.
Oh snap, forgot I needed a K-series unlocked multiplier CPU... nevermind.
Guess I'm getting w.e's the cheapest. Can you recommend me a semi-decent B75 board?

Back