• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheapest 16gb I can get without sacrificing any clocks?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

guapao

Registered
I am upgrading my PC to a i7 8700k with a asus maximus x hero, however I won't have enough to get 32GB @ 4kmhz+ that I wanted right now, but will around December...

I am looking for suggestions on the cheapest 16GB single or 8GBx2 I could get to use for the time being that would not sacrifice the cpu clock or anything, any suggestions?

Are you really going to need the 32gb kit and why do you want 4k+ speeds?

This. Unless you are using close to 16gb already, 32gb is overkill. 4k speeds only yields a lighter bank account...its not worth the cost for negligible gains.

For the 16GB can be any clock as long as I don't need to downclock the setup I have to use it...

The 32GB is something I will buy later in December but I already know what to buy... I just dont know if for example I get some cheap 16GB with say 2400 I will have to downclock the CPU or something to get it all going...

And yes I normally use more than 16GB, I do a lot of multitasking and some of the applications I run will easily reach 16GB, not to mention I often do gaming on top of it and today's game + OS alone is like 12~16GB...

get the cheapeast samsung b die ram you can find and overclock it

edit:
this is the cheapest im aware of https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313712

Will check, thanks

You don't have to downclock CPU to do anything. IMC works separately. I don't even rememeber when it was required last time ... like 4 gens ago or something.

The only issue is that most 16GB modules won't work above 3600. Most lower binned Samsung won't run stable at 4000+. Also most lower frequency memory kits are not based on Samsung IC. You can set 4000 using some Micron kits or 3600 on Hynix but it's also really random and on these IC will have relaxed timings like CL20-22.
From 8GB modules I wouldn't count on much when you pick something at low frequency. Team Group is declaring Samsung B in some series but also some users report that they have problems to set them at 4000+. Samsung B doesn't automatically means it will overclock high. It will run at tight timings but not even in all cases. I wouldn't buy anything below TridentZ 3200 CL14-14-14, 3600 16-16-16 or any kit already specified to run at 4000+. G.Skill is using better IC and easier profiles for overclocking.
Patriot has good 3733 kits but from Viper4 series so already old. New series are not always on Samsung and not always OC high.
Corsair is about the same as Patriot. If you won't pick 4000+ kit then you don't know how it will work. Not to mention that profiles sometimes cause issues on some motherboards.
TG already mentioned. Most other brands are not binning Samsung IC or to be sure they sell them at relaxed timings. HyperX 3600+ will be all on Samsung B but depends on luck will run good or not. Crucial 3466 is on Samsung B (or was when I was testing it) but is not so cheap and is not designed for high OC.
So the only good option seems anything above 4000 or G.Skill ... or you like to gamble with anything else what is on the market.

Back