• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheapest place to get licensed win7 or 8?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Illegal OS advice isn't allowed here. Check the rules, its there :)

Why? Downloading pirated OS.

I think I cleared that well to the point that I had original key that I wanted to use but Microsoft third level tech support cleared the existing key and told me not to worry.
I did download from pirate site but all I was using that was as media as I had legal legible sticker for that PC. instead of solving problem third level Microsoft cleared the pirated (?) key then what I am supposed to do? And I was told somewhere that may be the key was not pirated but was issued for mass installation or something like that.

I am sorry if I did violate the terms of posting but I was trying to be as clear as possible that I did not intend to use illegal copy, OWN a legal license key and tried my best to talking with 3rd level tech support from Microsoft who gave me clear to go with the installed/pirated/mass licensed key instead of helping me to fix the issue.

BTW, I gave them the keys from the sticker, which they verified as valid for that computer.

What would you do in that situation????

Use the official digital river download that's faster than any torrent anyway? :p

Obviously, I did mention I downloaded windows 8 and 7 from digitalriver but I got no option for windows XP and I had to go through torrent just for media. Do digitalriver offer XP??? Did I miss that?

thanks

Depends on where you live, if in the US then Tigerdirect or NCIX as low as $90 or so. For me in Canada it's canadacomputers, newegg.ca or MemoryExpress but they're $119. :(

Obviously, I did mention I downloaded windows 8 and 7 from digitalriver but I got no option for windows XP and I had to go through torrent just for media. Do digitalriver offer XP??? Did I miss that?

thanks

You can download an iso of Windows Vista from Microsoft and I think you could use that to install then upgrade to 7 or 8 after.

Does anyone know if you can install trial and upgrade? Or does it check that you have a key installed and terminate ...

Better yet does anyone know the EULA for upgrade? Maybe is specifies in there u must have a non trial version .. sounds like a long shot but I've actually came across this question with family members PC. Obviously like to save em some money but they are truly not interested in getting around legalities

You can download an iso of Windows Vista from Microsoft and I think you could use that to install then upgrade to 7 or 8 after.

uff..........
I needed XP pro for the Old XP machine after changing HDD, and I had license key for XP Pro not vista. do you guys ever read the thread flow before jumping to reply?:confused:

Does anyone know if you can install trial and upgrade? Or does it check that you have a key installed and terminate ...

Better yet does anyone know the EULA for upgrade? Maybe is specifies in there u must have a non trial version .. sounds like a long shot but I've actually came across this question with family members PC. Obviously like to save em some money but they are truly not interested in getting around legalities

It worked for a machine I build to one of my friend few months back and is still working. So, I am positive. About EULA, I guess its a grey area but as long as Microsoft recognize it as legal copy and activates and you buy it directly from Microsoft or their direct vendors, there should not be an issue.

Back