• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Choosing a motherboard for the best stock performance, with 1866 memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thatbonokid

My specs are these.
Current specs.

Intel i5 4690k stock cooler
8gb Ballistix 1866
Gigabyte OC GTX 770
BENQ xl2411z
Ducky SHINE black sw
Samsung EVO 840 128/WD black 64 MB cache 500 GB
EVGA 500 wat PSU 40 amp rail
Razer Death Adder 2013, Razer naga 2014, Logitch g502
Cooler Master HAF XB EVO (could contribute to motherboard selection)

Now i have alll of this pretty hardware running on THIS! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-693-_-Product

I need a sturdy motherboard that will get the best performance out of everything I have, pretty much needs to be at micro center unless there is a big price difference on newegg.
All i need to do is be able to run my memory at 1866, and possibly boost my processor speed, but am not gonna use voltage increase on anything. so nothing that is too much for a person that just turns on their computer, plays CS , WoW and other games casually. the computer will be on 20/7 hours a week and ill just use it, not tweek it daily.. just run it as stable as i can. I dont see a need in OC'ing for a while. but i dont want it to be a motherboard like this one, because its just gosh awfuk.. 80-105$?

That or the H97M Pro would be great choices. Looks like both are in stock at the Detroit Microcenter as well.

I dont feel you should inflict an H97 board on a K sku chip. Get a cheap Z97 board like an ASRock Pro 4 or Anniversary.
That way you can overclock. Even if you dont want to do it now, why would you steal away the option from yourself by going H97? Keep the option open and get a Z97 board.

Thanks for the support-

Just to reiterate, Z97 boards needn't be expensive. You can get a low end Z97 for less than a high end H97. A 4 phase Z97 like the ASRock Anniversary (usually sub $100 in the USA) is still good to take your chip to 4.4-4.5Ghz or so and safely keep it there without anything blowing up.

Back