• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Choosing a Thermal Compound

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Q-Tips? Yeah that's fine. Generally they're not the best to use; but it's fine. Personally I'm lazy and can't be bothered with a Lint-free cloth that I have to wash and just use tissues.. Tissues and Q-tips tend to leave behind little bits of dust/lint or whatever but it doesn't really matter honestly.. Lol. Just 'blow' and if it looks clean; it's probably enough.

Q-Tips? Yeah that's fine. Generally they're not the best to use; but it's fine. Personally I'm lazy and can't be bothered with a Lint-free cloth that I have to wash and just use tissues.. Tissues and Q-tips tend to leave behind little bits of dust/lint or whatever but it doesn't really matter honestly.. Lol. Just 'blow' and if it looks clean; it's probably enough.

I use my sister make up removal cloth that doest leave anything behind ;)

Should can right?

I'd recommend MX-2 myself. I've found it works a lot better than AS5, easier to spread and clean up and can be used on anything since it's non-conductive and non-capacitive.

Also, ArctiClean is great for cleaning up old paste for when you have to put on new.

How often do you need to change thermal paste? or remove and reapply.

From what I've heard most pastes are good for 3-5 years, though there are some that claim to be good for over five years. For stock paste I'd say after 2-3 years you should probably replace it.

Though I replace mine way more often than that, but that's just because I test out other CPU's and/or heatsinks a lot for benchmarking and/or just general testing of hardware.

Back