• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Choppy performance randomly, please advise.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Snazaca02

Hello, I've been running into trouble ever since I got my new PC. Games seem to randomly drop to 2 fps (and I mean randomly) frequently in almost every single game I play on my computer. (Diablo 3, League of legends, Mount and Blade:warband, Magicka, Batman: Arkham Asylum).

I'll enter one of the above games and any cut-scenes in the beginning (logo or what have you) will be choppy and slow and the audio as well will echo and be choppy to the point where its unplayable before the main menu screen comes up. The gameplay will have the exact same issues and most of the time the fps will be in single digits when this happens.

After that happens I will try entering the game again and it will often do the same thing until I have to restart the computer. Then I will try it again and most of the time it will either have the same problem (then i will reboot again) or work like a dream (or as its supposed to). There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it either, when it starts working after a reboot it doesn't mean it will keep working until the computers been restarted again, it's completely random and extremely frequent.

I've re-downloaded all of my drivers, attempted re-installs of all the games above to no avail and even re-installed windows 7 completely and none of it seems to remedy the problem. Please help with any suggestions as I am completely out of ideas.

I have attached my CPU-Z report below. (apologies for including any unnecessary info, I appreciate any feedback)

RAM:4 GB DDR2 PC2-5300
HardDrive:1TB Western Digital Caviar Black
Power supply: RAIDMAX RX-730ss 730 watt

Attachments

• Cpu-z report.txt
    84.9 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Hello, I've been running into trouble ever since I got my new PC. Games seem to randomly drop to 2 fps (and I mean randomly) frequently in almost every single game I play on my computer. (Diablo 3, League of legends, Mount and Blade:warband, Magicka, Batman: Arkham Asylum).

I'll enter one of the above games and any cut-scenes in the beginning (logo or what have you) will be choppy and slow and the audio as well will echo and be choppy to the point where its unplayable before the main menu screen comes up. The gameplay will have the exact same issues and most of the time the fps will be in single digits when this happens.

After that happens I will try entering the game again and it will often do the same thing until I have to restart the computer. Then I will try it again and most of the time it will either have the same problem (then i will reboot again) or work like a dream (or as its supposed to). There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it either, when it starts working after a reboot it doesn't mean it will keep working until the computers been restarted again, it's completely random and extremely frequent.

I've re-downloaded all of my drivers, attempted re-installs of all the games above to no avail and even re-installed windows 7 completely and none of it seems to remedy the problem. Please help with any suggestions as I am completely out of ideas.

I have attached my CPU-Z report below. (apologies for including any unnecessary info, I appreciate any feedback)

\/Look'it my signature below\/....add that to your post so we can see what your hardware is, it will give us a clearer picture. You might end up having to post this in another section to get better help.

CPU:Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 2.5GHz
GPU:Nvidia GeForce GTX 560
Mainboard:Intel model G33SXG2
RAM:4 GB DDR2 PC2-5300
HardDrive:1TB Western Digital Caviar Black
Power supply: RAIDMAX RX-730ss 730 watt

is it only games that cause a problem? Can you watch a movie or run a program w/ no errors?
Since you checked all the drivers, we can rule that out. My hunch is a flaky piece of hardware.....video card? Maybe Ram....its hard to tell w/ out more information. Seeing as its not specifically a game issue, you might have more luck in another section...id try posting in the Nvidia section as the GPU is the likely culprit. But I will say...when I upgraded from 4 gigs of ram to 12 I noticed an improvement in some games, particularly micro stuttering.
Just throwing out random hunches.

Last edited:
It does seem to be only games as of right now. I'm going to stick another GPU in my computer and do some testing and hopefully that will bring a little more light to the situation. I just bought that GTX 560 and was really hoping it wasn't shot right out of the box. Just wishful thinking I guess.

UPDATE: It was an overheating issue, my case is too crowded. Got another fan to run in it until I can liquid cool. Thanks for your suggestions all.

Back