• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cidsor's Custom build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cidsor

Heya!

I'm a new forum user on this site, but I am and have been working with computers for one or two handful years now. I've only built one loop before, but it turned out nothing more than OK. This was back when the GTX 285 first launched and I traded my 280 for two 260's and then bought a third one. The loop worked fine, but didn't look nice at all as I put tons of plastic adapters to make my own parallell SLI connector. It also sprung a huge leak, the XSPC acrylic res' glue got unstuck and basically fell apart and destroyed the optical drive underneat, luckily that was all that broke. I sold all my WC stuff and older hardware to get new ones, so Im starting from scratch on the WC part.

Next month when my paycheck clears I'm gonna start working on a custom loop.
It'll be for the CPU and 3x GPUs. Pics will be taken, and you will not want to ever look at my kitchen table again :)

:blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah:
Hardware:
Phanteks Enthoo Primo (planned)
Asus Maximus VI Extreme - :chair: Don't hate, got this for less than a Formula~
Intel i7 4770k - Good thermal example, runs at 80C with an old Thermalright True Ultra with 1.25v at 3.9ghz. It can go towards ~4.5ghz stable, but will then run a bit too hot for my taste (my taste is 80C :p ) 1.25 and 3.9 are the stock mobo settings btw.
4x8GB Crucial Tact. 1600mhz CL8 - 16GB going to ramdisk or HDDcache, not sure which yet.
7950 Sapphire ref PCB
7950 XFX ref PCB
250GB Samsung 840-series
750GB 2.5'' storage disk
Corsair 1200W AXi
No optical drive

More :blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah:
What I am looking for with the loop. Whisper like quietness at a few meters away. Relatively cheap, high performance setup. I am looking at 240mm thin rad space per block (1x cpu, 3x gpu, 2 x 480 30mm to 45mm thick rads). Good overclocking potential. I want to keep the blue lights with a "non-light" orange enviorment. Example : XSPC Raystorm and Orange fan blades.

For this I have made this shopping list. Suggestions for improvements / changes are welcomed!

Radiator:
2x 480mm Alphacool ST30
16x Cougar 120mm HDB fans with orange blades + 1x Cougar 140mm HDB exhaust fan (for the complete look)

Blocks:
1x EK supremacy CPU
2x EK CSQ (acrylic without nickel) fullcover GPU blocks

Pump/res:
1x Swiftech MCP655 with G1/4 threads
1x Drain / fillplug, otherwise acting as a secondary res

System / etc:
3x Phobya Molex to 6 x 3pins fan connectors
2x 10feet (3.3m) masterkleer clear tubing
1x Mayhem's Orange dye
1x Kill Coil
1x Dual SLI connector
Distilled water from pharmacy
Various fittings.

Planned setup:

The res will be placed on the backend of the 5.25'' bays, facing the GPUs and Motherboard. The pump will be hidden behind the PSU, facing towards the front intake fans. The radiators will be mounted with fittings at the back of the case. GPU's with SLI a clear SLI connector and black ROG crossfire cables. The XFX 7950 will be on top because it has a black PCB which will looks more unison.

Routing:

Res to T-fitting (middle nozzle) -> T-fitting (top nozzle) to drain / fill plug -> T-fitting (bottom nozzle) to pump intake -> Pump out to left nozzle (bottom) radiator -> Right nozzle (bottom) radiator to SLI connector (bottom nozzle) -> SLI connector (top nozzle) to left nozzle (top) radiator -> right nozzle (top) radiator to CPU in -> CPU out to reservoir -> end of loop

This seems like a good way to make the loop as there'll be no crisscrossing, even tho quite a few angle adapters will have to be used along with extenders for the rads.

Please comment on my plans. I'll hopefully start building it this time next month :D In the meantime I'll be doing a CPU/GPU AiO build, which will be my "lightweight" lan PC ;)

Update number 1:

Taking away the res as it's not necessary when I have the fillport (50~60cm tubing) directly above the pump intake. It shaves off $60 costs which I have thrown into EK cpu and fullcover gpu blocks. All my fittings except from extenders will be XSPC fittings, black chrome on the pump and chrome elsewhere.

Last edited:
I can not comment on the noises of the pumps, etc as I have yet to ever do my own loop (lean toward air cooling myself).

But I can testify that the Cougar Fans will be whisper quite. I own 6/7? both of the 120/140mm versions but I have never had to return one and they run 24/7 for me and I can forget the PC is even on (fyi, it also sits near one of my bedsides).

I can not comment on the noises of the pumps, etc as I have yet to ever do my own loop (lean toward air cooling myself).

But I can testify that the Cougar Fans will be whisper quite. I own 6/7? both of the 120/140mm versions but I have never had to return one and they run 24/7 for me and I can forget the PC is even on (fyi, it also sits near one of my bedsides).

I have heard that some may have issues being mounted horizontally, but these fans just seem massively superior to any other fan when it comes to performance per airflow. The Phanteks fans are the only better ones that are within the $20 bracket, but they are almost impossible to find and look rather plain.

Do you have any of yours mounted on the top or bottom?

Once the vibrations from the pump is gone and the system is bled, the pump will only emit a slight buzz barely audible :) At least my MCP 650 was like that.

I have heard that some may have issues being mounted horizontally, but these fans just seem massively superior to any other fan when it comes to performance per airflow. The Phanteks fans are the only better ones that are within the $20 bracket, but they are almost impossible to find and look rather plain.

Do you have any of yours mounted on the top or bottom?

Once the vibrations from the pump is gone and the system is bled, the pump will only emit a slight buzz barely audible :) At least my MCP 650 was like that.

I have some mount in the front, side, and back (vertically) and 2 at the top mounted horizontally. Though I believe the top mounted ones are 140mm.

I see. I am definitivly getting these fans then. Thanks for the replies :)

If I run into any issues I can compromise and get 140mm rads and a small 240 in the front. I wanted to avoid this for a sleeker look, less expenses and weight savings. Switching to 140 rads + the 240 easily adds another 100.

Back