• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cleaning Nickel CPU Water Block | EK-Supremacy EVO - Nickel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

beret21

Registered
Tools required

Hex screw driver set
Chili garlic sauce (5 grams is enough)
Liquid dishwasher (5 grams is enough)
Tissue paper
Toothbrush
Story (Optional)

As i was working on my recent pc mod for a friend. Someone might have noticed that the water block was getting a bit orangish brown in the videos too. I didnt take much notice but i was discussing the cable management with my friend and he said that the block is looking a lil yellowish.
So as i had time as the filters and fan havent arrived yet i decided to open it and clean the water block. This is EK-Supremacy EVO - Nickel. I know pretty much every way of cleaning copper but this was nickel plated so did a lil research before just jumping in and found that acids area really bad with nickel. I have only experience with diluted HCL but that is way bad for nickel aaaaand as it is just plating it will vanish pretty bad if it reacts. So went with vinegar first then the liquid dishwasher. They did the job but it was not even satisfactory so i gave chili garlic sauce a shot and booom.

Well, I'm guessing that the chili sauce has vinegar as one of the ingredients, aka acetic acid. Tell me I'm wrong.

I've had good success with both Brasso (a de-oxidizer used on silverware, belt buckles, brass casings) and tomato juice (let it soak for a couple of hours, viola!).

Dang good job! For reference which brand of chilli sauce? You know if it's good enough to clean Nickle Waterblocks, then it's good enough to eat :D

Well, I'm guessing that the chili sauce has vinegar as one of the ingredients, aka acetic acid. Tell me I'm wrong.

I've had good success with both Brasso (a de-oxidizer used on silverware, belt buckles, brass casings) and tomato juice (let it soak for a couple of hours, viola!).

Yup it has and thats the reason i focused on the ingredients in the video too. Just so that if one is interested he knows what combination works well. And it was a 10 min JOB that surprised me because copper cleaning is a whole new headache but nickel shines before breaking a sweat. Though i even used wd-40 and white vinegar both failed :p

- - - Updated - - -

Dang good job! For reference which brand of chilli sauce? You know if it's good enough to clean Nickle Waterblocks, then it's good enough to eat :D

Its name was "saucy" :D

Well done OP. I wonder what EKLuc thinks of this or if there are other methods they recommend.

You guys ever get to Texas, I'll share some homemade salsa with you that will make you want to move here.

".........and clean your blocks?" :p I figured I'd finish your sentence.

Back