• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Close all bridges on Athlon XP/Duron with pencil!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SirExeC

Close all bridges on Athlon XP/Duron/Barton with pencil+knife trick!

I don't know if anyone has already posted something about this method(hope not).
I wrote a review about duron 1.4 GHz some weeks ago on Estonian hardware/and gaming site, where i described the pencile trick in detail, but it is in Estonian.(http://www.gameland.ee/index.php?page=article&id=550 - i have very few pictures because my digital camera is no more in working condition).

SirExeC pencil+knife mod for Athlon XP/Duron/Barton processors .

Well, about the pencil mod. You need to have athlon XP/Duron that uses green(NEW package) or brown package. Then you need a sharp knife and good pencil. First thing is to locate the cut bridges, then ye need a steady hand and some strenght. You need to make small cut with knife towards both dot's. This cut must be large enough, so that you can fill it with garaphite(the black thing that is inside a simple pencil). Next thing is to cover the bridge with tape so the garaphite won't come off. This way i was able to unlock new Barton 2500+ week 40.
If you wan't i can make a brief overview about my method in english.

Last edited:
If you found a way to unlock the new Bartons, I think you'll be the most popular guy around here!

Write up something in English for us, if you have the time. This would be GREAT news.

hmm...guess i have to. This trick works 99% on any Barton/troughbred/Applebred(i have modded 9 processors with this trick and it worked on all of them).
i will recive new processor in tuesday, so i can start writing the step-by-step guide...only problem is the digital camera, but i hope to find someone who can borrow it for me, for few days atleast.

Just to get a rough idea .. what you're doing is joining the "real" L1 bridge dots to the fake ones? And it unlocks completely locked chips (not as in "unlocking the 12.5 multiplier")?

edit: fixed spelling & brainfart

You mentioned that your chip was a week 40. There have been a couple people who claim to have week 40 chips that came unlocked. Are you sure the chip was locked before the mod?

SirExeC,
Thanks for your work.

Can you post the steppings of some of these 9 cpus you have modded?

OMG are u the same johnoh from computing.net? If so hey man, iam heatsinkguy the greatest super hero who got banned.
Can u please tell the admin to giveme another chance...ill promise i wont flame anymore..plzz i want to get back

For the umteenth time...
It has already been determined, both by ohmeter and where applicable, visual inspection under a stereo microscope, that the L1 and L3 bridges are all closed on the locked 2500 Bartons, from dot to dot. The paths to the 1k ohm pullup package on the top are also present. The paths to the BP_FID pins on the bottom, through which you can program a different multiplier into the chip if your particular motherboard supports that, are present. The internal pull-up resistor paths are present and lastly, it appears that all those points, though properly connected to one another, just like an unlocked 2500 Barton, do not connect to the core points which lead to the internal Multiplier Control logic. Hence, neither by cutting bridges, joining bridges, pin tricks, nor using your motherboard (when it supports this feature) to force a different multiplier into the CPU, can you change the multiplier in the locked 2500 Barton. Plain and simple. I have tried effacing one of the bridges to see if it was a "decoy", but there are no hidden bridges below them. You can scrape off all the L1 and L3 bridges, break off all the BP_FID pins and your locked Barton will still work fine, at 11X since they are not connected to the circuitry that they are connected to on an unlocked 2500 Barton.

Hoot

my pair of AQZFA 0340UMPMW 2500+ are unlocked. that's week 40. this stepping has already been noted as unlocked by several people. hope this is helpful.

Hoot said:
For the umteenth time...
It has already been determined, both by ohmeter and where applicable, visual inspection under a stereo microscope, that the L1 and L3 bridges are all closed on the locked 2500 Bartons, from dot to dot. The paths to the 1k ohm pullup package on the top are also present. The paths to the BP_FID pins on the bottom, through which you can program a different multiplier into the chip if your particular motherboard supports that, are present. The internal pull-up resistor paths are present and lastly, it appears that all those points, though properly connected to one another, just like an unlocked 2500 Barton, do not connect to the core points which lead to the internal Multiplier Control logic. Hence, neither by cutting bridges, joining bridges, pin tricks, nor using your motherboard (when it supports this feature) to force a different multiplier into the CPU, can you change the multiplier in the locked 2500 Barton. Plain and simple. I have tried effacing one of the bridges to see if it was a "decoy", but there are no hidden bridges below them. You can scrape off all the L1 and L3 bridges, break off all the BP_FID pins and your locked Barton will still work fine, at 11X since they are not connected to the circuitry that they are connected to on an unlocked 2500 Barton.

Hoot

That's what I thought.

Re: Close all bridges on Athlon XP/Duron/Barton with pencil+knife trick!

SirExeC said:
I don't know if anyone has already posted something about this method(hope not).
I wrote a review about duron 1.4 GHz some weeks ago on Estonian hardware/and gaming site, where i described the pencile trick in detail, but it is in Estonian.(http://www.gameland.ee/index.php?page=article&id=550 - i have very few pictures because my digital camera is no more in working condition).

SirExeC pencil+knife mod for Athlon XP/Duron/Barton processors .

Well, about the pencil mod. You need to have athlon XP/Duron that uses green(NEW package) or brown package. Then you need a sharp knife and good pencil. First thing is to locate the cut bridges, then ye need a steady hand and some strenght. You need to make small cut with knife towards both dot's. This cut must be large enough, so that you can fill it with garaphite(the black thing that is inside a simple pencil). Next thing is to cover the bridge with tape so the garaphite won't come off. This way i was able to unlock new Barton 2500+ week 40.
If you wan't i can make a brief overview about my method in english.

i can say as a FACT this doesnt work.
my locked 2000 thorton has had its L3 modded like this and also my L2 for the xtra cache,neither worked.

also those cpu's in the pics should be inlocked to begin with and an unlocked cpu will give the xtra cache in the duron and thorton cases.but locked ones wont.

hey i appreciate the effort tho!
ive given up so far with even helping the "unlocking crew" as they are way over my head now,good luck guys!

Heatsinkguy said:
OMG are u the same johnoh from computing.net? If so hey man, iam heatsinkguy the greatest super hero who got banned.
Can u please tell the admin to giveme another chance...ill promise i wont flame anymore..plzz i want to get back

Nice hijack. Ever heard of private messaging?

:rolleyes:

wolverine I said:
hes talking about unlocking the L2 cache on the duron
checked his posts in estonia.and the latest stepping i saw was
well yeh that is ok then, but it still wont work on a locked thorton.just throw that in for peeps so they dont waste thier time trying.

ok here's the question again, is there some type on sealant on top of the AMD Duron 1.600 processor stoping me from using the pencil trick on L1. do i need to use a knife to remove it and do the pencil trick again

worldworks said:
ok here's the question again, is there some type on sealant on top of the AMD Duron 1.600 processor stoping me from using the pencil trick on L1. do i need to use a knife to remove it and do the pencil trick again

I think you should reread Hoot's post.

Hoot said:
For the umteenth time...

Hoot

You cannot unlocked locked Applebreds/Tbreds/Thortons/Bartons, period.
The bridges are simply NOT CONNECTED to the core, so whatever you do to them will not affect the actual multiplier.

so the amd Duron 1.600 processor can not be unlock by connecting the L1, is this a true statement?

Last edited:
i work on this processor for about 45 min's with the microscope, knife and pencile this thing is lock-up tighter than a virgin, lol.. unless i miss some thing, if some one has an idea about this type of processor duron 1.600. im open for suggestions, but on the other hand it is running at fsb 12.0 x 167.05= 2004.54 according to wcpuid that's not to bad since i cant change the multiplier from 12.0

i need a new processor what can oc 500MHz or higher from above and change the multiplier or in other words be truely unlock

Back