• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CM 690 cant use IDE drives?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

_D4VE_

Registered
Im building my pc and basically this is the case i was looking to buy. Then all of a sudden i read reviews that there is no way to use a IDE hard drive unless u cut/mod the case. Is this really true? If so i need to find a good case asap, since my hd is a seagate 320gb IDE. This really upsets me bc this case is awesome from what ive heard.

Does anyone know of another awesome case for around $100 give or take a few? I know ppl will tell me the 900 but im kinda iffy on that case b/c of the dust it pulls in.

Heres the rest of my specs to get an idea....

ABit IP35 Pro
Q6600 G0 stepping
Xigmatek 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler
8800 GTS (G92) KO
4 GB G Skill (2x2 blue set)
Xigmatek 750W modular PSU
Seagate 320GB IDE HD
Samsung DVD Burner

Thanks and id appreciate any input. You guys always have good advice and i stick by it.

I don't know where you read these reviews but you can use IDE drives with this case. I'm not sure you'll be able to use round IDE cables but I had 2 IDE drives running in my 690 for wuite a while.

IDE + Sata both will fit in a CM690 , as the others have said dont Know where you read that they wont, but the do !!!

I had 7 IDE hard drives in mine. If you are using an IDE RAID card and the ports are at the back of the case you will need 24" IDE cables if you are using 2 devices per cable.

PHEW *sigh of relief* Thanks guys, deffinitely had me worried there. I actually read it on newegg under the poor review section. I was thinking it wasn't true, as there were only a few reviews out of a couple hundred that i read. So which wires will i need exactly?

Im also seeing people's need for a extended 8 pin power connector or something, will i need to grab 1 of those also? If so which 1?

If someone can link me to the parts on newegg that would be helpful, dont wana buy the wrong 1's. Thanks for the help.

It all depends on where your IDE slots on your MB are. Personally, I don't see a problem using a standard length IDE cabe, either ribbon or round as most IDE slots are right next to the HDD cage.

My OCZ 600W GXS PSU has pretty long cables so I didn't need to add any extensions. I have heard of some that needed them though. It all depends on your PSU. Yes, that is the type of extension you MIGHT need.

Axis

Well im using Abit IP35 MB and Xigmatek 750w Modular PSU. I think i may just buy it just in case. WIll the round cable give the case better airflow? Even tho CM 690 doesnt really need it ;)

Also does anyone know if i can put some fan filters on the fans in that case to help with the dust problem?

Well im using Abit IP35 MB and Xigmatek 750w Modular PSU. I think i may just buy it just in case. WIll the round cable give the case better airflow? Even tho CM 690 doesnt really need it ;)

Also does anyone know if i can put some fan filters on the fans in that case to help with the dust problem?

I probably won't matter which cable you use. It should run just straight across from the HDD cage to the IDE slot. It comes down to how you want it to look.

All the fans, except the rear and side panel fans already have filters on them. The top two use the mesh on top and the front has mesh in front of it as well. The bottom fan has an actual filter.

Axis

LOL... Yeah sorry this post just seems funny to me how a case could limit the type of connection you use for your peripherals? Not making fun …just got a chuckle is all. Thanks

LOL... Yeah sorry this post just seems funny to me how a case could limit the type of connection you use for your peripherals? Not making fun …just got a chuckle is all. Thanks

It's the fact that the HDDs slide in from the side, thus making room "tight" on the plug-in side. It's not really a problem as there's plenty of room.

Axis

Just got the case today, thanks everyone for the input. I've found out that keeping the drive bay out about 1" as you plug it in gives you more space to do it. I'm going to try and buy something to filter the other two fans. Im also going to grab 3 120mm Yateloons for the top, and put a matching CoolerMaster fan on the side.

One thing about this case people have trouble with is that the side panel makes a "whirling" noise with the fans installed. You can fix this by just loosening the screws up a little bit on the fans. Hope that helps some of you out ;)

Just waiting on a few more parts and i'll have this beast up and running :burn:

Back