• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cmputer shuting down with out error. Lights in room blinking to

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well where human life and welfare might be at issue, I am going to be perfectly clear in stating that a UPS is not a fix for his overall condition. Had it been stated that a UPS might keep the computer from shutting down but it was extremely important to find the root cause...well that would have helped against any assumptions. I read the suggestions for getting a UPS and I live in the states and was more than a little astonished that the OP was not advised to at least give a cursory look into the actual electrical problem.

It might be that I see things a little diffently having worked in the trade for awhile and have seen homes with the open neutral and the burn marks out of the socket and up the wall. But again, strokes for folks, I guess. If the OP has not gotten a message by now, then there is no help for it anyway.

Luck all.

RGone...

What seems to be ignored here is that whole sections of the world have this problem daily...

What seems to be ignored here is that whole sections of the world have this problem daily...

This thread is only concerned where the original poster is from. "Whole sections of the world" is beyond the scope of this thread. I think if he has a nice rig and air conditioning he is in a very well developed first world country.

NYC, just recently the power went out affecting a couple of small communities, as well as causing lights throughout the city to flicker, and my UPSes on my rigs to kick in for less then a second while it covered the low voltage and surge. Even first world areas can have power problems from time to time, which is why even I, being in NYC, have UPSes on my main system and server.

Btw, plenty of places that could be considered not being a developed first world area, also have access to A/C and high end hardware. The days of areas in the world being 10-20 years behind in technology from developed countries are all but gone.

NYC, just recently the power went out affecting a couple of small communities, as well as causing lights throughout the city to flicker, and my UPSes on my rigs to kick in for less then a second while it covered the low voltage and surge. Even first world areas can have power problems from time to time, which is why even I, being in NYC, have UPSes on my main system and server.

Btw, plenty of places that could be considered not being a developed first world area, also have access to A/C and high end hardware. The days of areas in the world being 10-20 years behind in technology from developed countries are all but gone.

I wish I could thank this twice

The maintenance people in my place had to shut the power off for a floor so think that they fixed the issue cause I have not had any problems recently with it shutting off.

The maintenance people in my place had to shut the power off for a floor so think that they fixed the issue cause I have not had any problems recently with it shutting off.

You got the real fix. Good for you.

Not really. Lots of posters in other countries either can't get all the boards or processors we get in the USA or they pay outrageous prices. I even see Europeans complaining about it. Canadians too. Ahhhh, good old Con Edison.

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed a change in temperature to when I put new paste on. I had to much paste on the cpu the first time. Now I put less and I got 4.5 ghz stable max temp with running prime for 1 hour at 60c.

Even though the UPS will cover the dips in voltage to keep the computer from restarting the switch over cannot be entirely seamless and produces some kind of delay, even if very small. And if this switching is happening frequently I would think it would weaken the component before long. Not to mention the annoying alarm that goes off every time the UPS kicks in.

I would imagine the caps in the entire power system cover that split second...

Did you ever notice that the lights on your motherboard don't turn off for a couple of seconds after you flip the power switch on the PSU? The caps need to drain. Id imagine the charges in the caps mitigate that concern during the milliseconds it takes to switch to the UPS.

I would imagine the caps in the entire power system cover that split second...

Did you ever notice that the lights on your motherboard don't turn off for a couple of seconds after you flip the power switch on the PSU? The caps need to drain. Id imagine the charges in the caps mitigate that concern during the milliseconds it takes to switch to the UPS.

I meant weakening the switching component on the UPS, not the motherboard.

Back