• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CNPS9500 good enough for Q6600 @ 3.0 GHz (9 x 333)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ImSpartacus

I'm really new to the whole overclocking concept. I think i have the basic math down, and I think I kno what I want, but I'm not sure what cooling i need (especially on hot C2Q's).

I am thinking about building a new PC, and I want to use a Q6600 when they drop to $266 on July 22, but I also would like to modestly overclock it. I think 3.0 GHz is good enough for a newbie goal.

so if I up to fsb to 133 MHz on a Q6600, what kind of cpu cooling would be necassary to ool it?

i want to stay on air, and i have heard good things about the Zalman CNPS9500, will this be enough, if not, what is necassary. I really want ot stay on air.

EDIT-damn, i put this is in water cooling, god i am such a noob... I'll just leave it here, sry guys.

The Zalman coolers are more your silent solution rather than performance. I would definitely pick up a Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme too cool down those 4 cores.

yeah, i was also looking at that too, and the scythe infinity. the infinity seems to be a little bigger, will that relate to better cooling compared to the ultra-120?

yeah, i was looking at some benches, and the ultra 120, the extreme and the monsoon II were the best. the monsoon looked a little too complicated with all the electrical stuff, i guess ill get the ultra 120, i dont think i need to get the extreme if im just oc'ing to 3.0 GHz. I'm not like you guys who max out.

I know im late on this topic, but I was just looking into the last night as I too am looking to go quad when the price falls. From everything that I have read the ultra120-E is going to be what I end up getting. That and a nice big and loud high CFM (<90) sunon fan – I wouldn’t mind hitting 3500MHz though.

DO NOT underestimate the quad's heat production!! get the best heatsink if my recommendation! the 9500 isn't even close for your 3ghz quest!! at the end, it's more the temp limitation on the quad's o/c especially when you are looking at low 3ghz!

Back