• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CO2 Cascade Project **Quest for -100° C**

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wow man, awsome work so far.. Cant wait to see this thing in action... :D I see -100C in the future for you, real soon future..

Thanks:) Its good to get compliments from a skilled phaser such as yourself. I hope I see some temps soon. I was making a list of all the thngs it needs to be finished and it is alot longer than I first thought.

evap, flexible suction, gauges, wiring, charging, insulation, tuning, tuning, tuning..... :D

LoneWolf121188 said:
Dude, this is awesome. Great pics. How big is everything? Can you give us some pics with something to compare it to (the CD one was good, more like that!). I've never dealt with stuff like this before...all the terms and abbriviations are confusing me...but it still rocks nevertheless! GL!

Thanks. As far as sizing, here is a pic of the cascade with a motherboard on top of the IHX box. Its a blurry pic, but maybe it gives you an idea.

sizing.jpg

Lookin good sir, those rataries should do the trick for sure. I have a single stage with a 1HP and while it's a loud SOB, the temps are unbeatable.

Here's to reaching -100° :cool:

More progress. Gauges are fitted though not hooked up. Progress is slow as I dont have alot of energy after work...

gauges.jpg

gauges_close.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, it looks nice, but that thing is HUGE!!! Good luck...I'll be keeping an eye out for progress reports.

Okay. A little update. Today I brazed in all of the second stage that I could. I am missing the flexible suction still, but the high side is pretty much ready. I sealed up stage II, pulled a vac on it and charged stage I again. The IHX gets down to temp much better since it is insulated. It hits ~-42 in ~-43 out with ease. I think once I do the final tune it should have no prob condensing the second stage.

Did you make that coil evap on your own or buy it somewhere? It's pretty close to what we use for HX on our liquid cooled FCB machines, and what I'm using on a couple of my chillers, except the ones I have, have larger diam for the water and 3/8 gas line.

Ive always wanted to build one of these, and knowing me, i one day will. My only reservation is that i dont know much of how it all works. How did you learn enough to build something like this? I understand the principle behind a 1 stage cooler (i had a Vapochill ls), but even then, i wouldnt know where to begin in making one.... i always imagine that something will blow up in my face, working with refrigerator components.

Did you take some kind of fridge repair course or something? How do you know what lengths of pipes to use, what component goes to what? How much pressure, etc, etc?

soo tru.. like where do u constuct this stuff,,, i've always wanted to know.. how to build the piece that goes from the unit all the way to the CPU/GPU... (the tube and the plate)
like where do u start

Vio1 said:
Ive always wanted to build one of these, and knowing me, i one day will. My only reservation is that i dont know much of how it all works. How did you learn enough to build something like this? I understand the principle behind a 1 stage cooler (i had a Vapochill ls), but even then, i wouldnt know where to begin in making one.... i always imagine that something will blow up in my face, working with refrigerator components.

Did you take some kind of fridge repair course or something? How do you know what lengths of pipes to use, what component goes to what? How much pressure, etc, etc?

It just takes a lot of research and hands on experience. A lot of tweaking and some instinct. Talk to people who do know what they're doing and familiarize yourself with terms and components. It doesn't hurt to know the basic principles of phase change either. A lot of it is math, but once you know what your doing you just get a feel for it. And most of all it takes time.

Back