• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Coil whine should go away when you unplug it right?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Culbrelai

Title. Trying to decide if I have tinnitus or something has coil whine. I turned off the computer, still hear it. Unplugged the power strip. Still hear it. Stuff has to have power going to it actively to have coil whine right? Slowly going crazy here ...

I didn’t wait very long tbh. It might be my Seasonic power supply which would be unfortunate.

It should only be for a couple of seconds (at most) after powering off (unplugging shouldn't matter).

Title. Trying to decide if I have tinnitus or something has coil whine. I turned off the computer, still hear it. Unplugged the power strip. Still hear it. Stuff has to have power going to it actively to have coil whine right? Slowly going crazy here ...

That sounds like the 2005 Antec SmartPower 2.0 PSU that I was still using in 2011, which was being used for the Acer Aspire M5630, (socket 775, with the E2180) when I heard a whine when the house was very quiet. It was a bad 5V-standby cap!
(The cap manufacturer, is Fuhjyyu, as it's manufactured by CWT)

You all are going to laugh but it was my dad. He was playing a ten hour loop of a horrible dog whistle sound to try to get rid of squirrels that are burrowing into a rotten piece of wood in our house.

Yeah. Sounded JUST like coil whine. Glad it isn’t my basically new 3090, new shucked 10TB HDDs, or pretty young Seasonic. But man that sound even after I turned it off kept my ears ringing for hours, and rose my pulse from a normal 100 to 140. Whew. No wonder embassies use sounds like coil whine for crowd control.

Back