• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weird issue with GPU coil whine

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Asryan

Registered
Hello,

I have a small coil whine problem in my rig but I would like your opinion

(with headphones we hear much better)

I had read that this kind of coil whine is not dangerous for the devices , whether it is the power supply or the graphics card, could you confirm it to me.

What is weird is that the noise occurs at 30FPS +, i've limited FPS to find out it does not occurs only at high fps as i was used to with coil whining GPU...

After that I only hear it if the fans are at their lowest and the panel is open so if it is certain that it cannot harm my configuration, it is not very serious but I would like to be sure.

However I would like to understand because the problem arises with:

• 2 different graphics cards (EVGA FTW3 2080ti and Asus Strix 2080ti Oc). The two cards do not make this noise in another config
  • 2 power supplies of the same model (Seasonic Ultra Prime titanium 850w)
  • 2 motherboards of the same model. Asus Maximus Hero XI
  • Cstate on and off
  • Mod cable cables or original cable

Do you know what can cause this?

Thanks

Afaik a lot of GPUs have coil whine, If you say you hear it only when the fans are on the slowest speed and with panel on i wouldnt consider it do be anything serious.
My experience with coil whine was with an old R9 270, It was so loud that i could hear it when playing a taxing game without sound. Dont remember anything happening to the card (except when i overclocked the f out of it).
try to see if it somehow effects performance if youre not sure about it.

No performance are all good but I just found it weird that it does it with two gpus even at very low fps

Back